Author Topic: Who Grows Their Own Shoot Shafts?  (Read 63328 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: who grows their own shoot shafts?
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2014, 10:46:15 am »
I've got some Texas kidneywood.

Kidneywood?  Wow, that is new to me!  They sure got everything, don't they?

My neighbors do it for me.  They have a hundred plum trees, it seems, and they seem to think the only way to trim any tee is top lop off the branches blunt, what people call "topping".  I know that some coppice on purpose, but these are just old fruit trees, and they cut just cut em all off a couple feet from the main bole.

Anyway, more plum shoots than a guy could cut.  The only problem is really inconsistent taper.  Some are 5/16 peeled on one end, and 3/8 on the other, and some are 5/16 and 11/32 on the other.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:55:45 am by Springbuck »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Who Grows Their Own Shoot Shafts?
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2014, 11:42:57 pm »
The difference between 3/8 and 11/32 is only 1/32 of an inch.  That's really good for natural shoots.

What can make all the shoots the same diameter, you might ask?  Belt sander.   ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2014, 11:07:49 am »
"What can make all the shoots the same diameter, you might ask?  Belt sander."

or a cabinet scraper...works just fine  :)
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2014, 03:49:00 pm »
The Wife's been growing a hibiscus bush in a pot for few years.  In spring I take it outside for her and in fall bring it back inside.  Brought it inside a few days ago.  Noticed that there's some nice arrow-to-be branches on that thing!  Now gotta convince her that it needs a good bit of "pruning" . . . . .
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2014, 07:58:30 pm »
"Now gotta convince her that it needs a good bit of "pruning"
haha! :D
I'm noticing some beautiful slender straight "shafts" growing on  red osier I planted down by our spring...
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2016, 04:35:28 pm »
I use wild rose. I have plenty of it in my yard and it grows straight most of the time.
I have to be careful to cut wide enough shoots so my nock end won't be too narrow.
I hand plane white pine stock. I rip out 7/17 x 7/16" x 32" stock.
More on my site.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline elwinbm

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2016, 01:42:47 pm »
There is a bowyer in GA. Name Japp Kopperdarayr and he builds some great bnows

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2016, 05:28:03 pm »
The Wife's been growing a hibiscus bush in a pot for few years.  In spring I take it outside for her and in fall bring it back inside.  Brought it inside a few days ago.  Noticed that there's some nice arrow-to-be branches on that thing!  Now gotta convince her that it needs a good bit of "pruning" . . . . .

So, Mike, how did the convincing project work out for you?  Did ya get any 'Hibiscus shoot' shaft made up yet???

OneBow

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2017, 02:50:39 pm »
Here in North Idaho, I harvest Ocean Spray, Nine Bark, Syringa, and occasionally some Mountain Maple. Recently pulled a shrub (Beauty Berry) from my wifes flower bed and noticed some mighty good looking shoots which I saved to try out. It resembles Syringa in bark and spine. If it works I will be trying to save that root bundle this spring. Those arrow sized shoots grew from pruning to almost 4' long in one summer.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline loon

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2017, 05:04:25 pm »
There is a bowyer in GA. Name Japp Kopperdarayr and he builds some great bnows
He also sells yadake arrow bamboo, though the 7 I got were rather inconsistent. Still looked like good quality other than that.

I live in Southern California, landless city boy. Not sure where I could harvest shoots. Would love to harvest some oceanspray or hazel.