Author Topic: A bow for my 4 year old nephew  (Read 1738 times)

Offline KellyG

A bow for my 4 year old nephew
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:25:22 pm »
Ok finished up this little bow for my 4 year old nephew. I am new to the bow building and learn on every bow and this one was no exception. It started as a failed bow back at MOJAM. I was trying out power tools and learned although you can make one fast you can mess on up even faster. So what was a bow for me now as to thin and short so I laid it to the side and figured my nephew need a bow.
So when tillering this one. I heard a pop and sure enough found a crack at the fade and handle. I decide to chase down another ring and found that got rid of the crack.
On with tillering I went. once to a short string I noticed that string was really closer to the one limb then the other. I scraped a bit on the one I thought was stiffer  and it only made a small about of difference. I decide to heat up the weaker on and flip it's tip to match the natural on the other side. Once I did that the till was almost spot on. I evened it out and did a bit of side tillering to keep them from getting too thin.
This is my first skinning job. It had a couple of holes in it so I trimmed of what I know would not be on the bow and put them behind the holes and that seems to really hide them.
Well now I can focus on doing my swap and trade bows.

Oh it is 42" ttt and is pulling about 12lbs at 20"

Offline burchett.donald

Re: A bow for my 4 year old nephew
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:02:57 pm »
  He's ruined now! Hooked on primitive archery for the rest of his life...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:54:13 pm »
Nice save kelly i rember thhat at mojam lol hope lil guy gets hookd but u can see he likes it brock

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:57:01 pm »
Good job, Kelly! Looks like he already learned to pick a spot!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:25:02 am »
Awesome! Love the look of concentration on the wee ones when they shoot. Good stuf!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:32:42 am »
Cool Kelly. He'll have that bow cranked back before you know it. We can all take a lesson from youngsters drawing a bow. Their form is usually pretty good without any training. They haven't learned to over think things yet.  ;)
  The neighborhood cats better look out!  >:D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DGF

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:08:53 am »
Glad to see the youngsters giving it a go! Before long he'll be a neighborhood hunting machine.

So, did you fill the bird feeder for him?   ;D

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:48:58 am »
Very cool,got to love that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline KellyG

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:04:11 am »
Thank all I am sure he will get the hang of it. I did not fill the bird feeder, but I did promise to take him squirrel and rabbit hunting once he became a better shot. That got him excited.

Pat I noticed he would lift his elbow up as he drew. Trying to get him to not grip the bow to tight and put only 3 fingers on the string is not so easy.