Author Topic: Prop twist question  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Andy

Prop twist question
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:58 pm »
Quick question here. I scored some awesome ERC after the Christmas snow storm we had here in Arkansas. I'm finally getting it split up and have encountered some prop twist I will eventually have to deal with. My question is, how much twist do you all typically ignore, and if it's too much, how do you clamp the stave to steam the twist out? The stave is about 80" long right now. The end in the background is level. Thanks for looking.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Prop twist question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:26:00 pm »
I look at it like this.......first if you shorten the stave any it will be less.  Second if you look at it from center to top limb and center to bottom limb it is not that bad of a twist.  I have seen much worse.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:32:14 pm »
i have a white oak bow that has more twist than that in a 57" bow not sure about erc but when the stave is cut down to size it should be fine
doc

Offline osagejack

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:14 pm »
cedar doesn't take heat straighting like other woods, I  would be very selective with cedar  very hard to make a bow out of cedar,most will explode ,but if you do get one to hold together they are the sweetest shooters

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:28:19 am »
With a stave that long you have the luxery of choosing where in the stave you want to place the bow. Pick a good section considering any knots, etc, draw out and cut out your bow blank then see how much twist is left. You can ignore a little twist or tiller the twist out by removing wood from the strong side of the twist. For now, find the bow in the stave and worry about what might be later.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC