Author Topic: Tillering a reflex-deflex...need help.  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Tillering a reflex-deflex...need help.
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:49:57 pm »
It's been awhile since I tillered out a fairly prounced r/d bow...It's a boo backed ipe with 1/2in. of deflex and reflex puts the tips before overlays at 1in in front of the back of the riser. Deepest dip id about mid working limb... the bow is 66in. now I'm shooting for 50 lbs at 28".

I've always been confused on this subject anyhow, but...when tillering, should I work out the bend to give me a D profile when strung, which likely means working those dip transitions more from the get-go to achieve a proper bend.
Some r/d's I see still show flipped tips or at least have a straighter limb profile than what I'm talking about above..

So whats the best way to tackle this tiller?
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:18:20 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline Newindian

Re: YTillering a reflex-deflex...need help.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:57:05 pm »
No expert here but the limbs should be strait when strung
I like free stuff.

blackhawk

Re: Tillering a reflex-deflex...need help.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:56:24 pm »
Got any pics? That will help as there's varying R/D profiles and each will be a lil different...

Tillering those profiles is easy if you have a tiller tree and pulley system where you should be able to easily see what's moving and what's not as you stand back and exercise it....I've made so many now that I don't use any tillering trees or sticks...just all floor tiller and string her up ;)

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:13:30 pm »
Here is a pic of the glue up as it is now.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:54:08 am »
Anybody got  opinions on my previous question? Sure could use the help.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:53 pm »
Well....it ain't gonna tiller its self.....get her a bending some and post pics of your progress and folks will help ya out if you feel hesitant and not trusting of your ability to tiller it.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:13:29 pm »
Yup, what hawk said.  I've got one i'm planning as well, i'm going to splice  in the deflex and temper in the reflex, so i'm interested to see this progress.  Get'r bending some and post pics or vid.  I wouldn't even long string, go straight to a string that lays tight against the belly, that'll keep you from over-reducing the tips.  As newindian says,  all i've seen on here have straight limbs at brace, but i suppose that depends on how much reflex the limbs have.

Offline Roy

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »
Tiller it out like any other bow, that's not much d/r.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:41:40 pm »
It depends on how much reflex you have in the outer limbs. But you definitely do not want a D-tiller with an RD profile.

Here's a link to a bow that I build recently that had a mild RD profile. Look at the pictures of the braced bow and the full draw and that should give you some idea.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37512.0.html
Gordon

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 02:35:42 pm »
It depends on how much reflex you have in the outer limbs. But you definitely do not want a D-tiller with an RD profile.

Here's a link to a bow that I build recently that had a mild RD profile. Look at the pictures of the braced bow and the full draw and that should give you some idea.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37512.0.html

Thanks Gordon.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:55:49 pm »
yes..tiller it to look like the bow that Gordon showed you....that looks spot on for an R/D tiller......you dont want a D shape tiller
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......