Author Topic: Set on clamps for awhile  (Read 1845 times)

Offline KShip85

Set on clamps for awhile
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:50:26 pm »
Well, I made some clamps like the trial one I had posted in another thread.  They are 6" long 2" wide made from a 13/16" hickory.  The bolts are 5/16" carriage bolts, some with wing nuts some with normal nuts.  Most of them are 4", but there are four clamps that use 6" bolts as I had those first and later decided on the shorter ones.  On the side of the bolt with the head is a 3/8" washer and the nut side has a 5/16" washer.  The inside of the clamps have a layer of paking tape covering them to avoid gluing clamps to my bows.  I made a total of 30 of them, figured that would be enough to glue up just about any laminate I wanted to try.  I think I have maybe $20 or so invested in the lot.

Hoping these will do the trick.

I also relearned a lesson with the drill press.  You want to make sure you hold the slat of wood you are drilling/reaming firmly, other wise you will end up with a sore hand.

Next on the tools list to build is a caul a la Pearl Drums and maybe a form I can clamp for doing various reflex/deflex laminates.
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline lostarrow

Re: Set on clamps for awhile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:40:40 am »
I know it's a little late now, but a couple of suggestions that might make life easier.
1 .If you use a bolt instead of carriage bolt,you could use a nutdriver in a drill to speed up the clamping process.
2. if you leave the jaws long on one end and put a scrap of wood the same size as what you are clamping in the other end ,you can slip them on from the side instead threading the clamps over stock and form. Similar to a Jorgensen clamp
     You don't need a lot of clamps to put a bend in a piece of wood.Laminating could take a few depending on setup, but some guys bend without any clamps. I use two or three per bend.One to hold it to the form ,and one (quick clamp like the ones pearldrums showed in his caul post) to persuade it into shape.The quick clamp gives a more direct feel for the wood. You can feel the wood give in to the heat . What are you planing on doing with all of these clamps?

Offline KShip85

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:49:08 am »
Thanks for the input.  I am planning on getting/making a deep socket driver to use with my impact driver to quicken the tightening process.  Also, I think I might have enough left on each end of the clamps to clamp from the side.  It was a bit of an after thought but I think they might work.  As far as what I'll do with them all I'm not sure, was just getting tired of not having enough clamps for a good glue line :). I have a habit of going overboard with stuff.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:12:31 am »
If you are laminating ,you can't beat  pair of cauls to even the clampnig pressure . Otherwise you want to make sure you use a good gap filling glue. Uneven clamping pressure = poor bond+ failure.