Author Topic: Desert Willow  (Read 5807 times)

Offline wolfsire

Desert Willow
« on: October 24, 2007, 02:09:02 pm »
Yesterday, with some time to kill, my daughter and I went abo exploring around vacant suburban lots here in Las Vegas and discovered a couple of Desert Willows.  They are not true willows.

DW are native to the SW, including southern Nevada.  I have lived here all my life, and to my knowledge have never seen one before.  But, they are riparian and the local creek dried up (wells) almost a century ago.  The ones I found are certainly the wild offspring of transplanted ones.

I’ve read that the local Indians, the Southern Paiute, used this plant for bows, and I would guess arrows too.

This looks like a full quiver in the making!  In the area I found a dry twig of suitable arrow size and worked it.  I think it was of DW.  The bark was very difficult to remove, but it heat bent every well.  Maybe this plant will grow a bow in the next year or two.

Steve in LV, NV

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Desert Willow
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:53:08 pm »
Ive never used willow for arras,almost every thing Ive read on the subject, willow is the last resort for a arrow shaft.So if anyone has used willow with any success please jump in, Ive got tons of it on my place. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:20:17 pm »
An important thing to consider is that the desert willow is not actually a willow, so the same rules do not apply.

On actual willows, i have heard that they are not any good for bows, but you can use anything for arrows.  Considering that a bow has to bend and an arrow only has to fly, that sounds right to me.  You should make some willow arrows and see  how it goes.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline heavybow

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 04:19:47 pm »
Ive wonder if there is desert willow at wetland park next to the archery range. Have to look around. marlon

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 01:56:34 am »
I work for the county and live waaaaay to the north, like 215 north wiith 3 kids, so it would be easier for me to ask someone in the countys parks dept. than actually make it down there.

As a up date, I cut one stick to work for an arrow and picked up a few dry.  I threw away the dry as they were too difficult to work.  The wet was, obviously a lot easier, but it has so many small knots that it makes it hard to keep round.  I also worked about 3 tamrisks today aged a few weeks.  Debarking was a little more difficult but they look and feel like they will make much better arrows.  Desert willow will work, but Im sure now tamarisk will be better.

I know there is a threat here or over at paleo about working a desert willow into a bow that indicated the wood was only so so, but I still would like to give it a shot.  But it if it is in the part, I am sure they would frown on cutting it.  I would bet they would let cutting of tamarisk though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 02:09:00 am by wolfsire »
Steve in LV, NV

Offline heavybow

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:45:20 am »
Yes tamarisk its all over the valley and behind the archery range. marlon

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03:56 pm »
For reference purposes

This link discusses making a bow from Desert Willow:

http:// p081.ezboard.com/f paleoplanet69529frm63.showMessage?topicID=81.topic

Per this link, http:// waynesword. palomar.edu/plsept99.htm, Desert Willow, or Chilopsis linearis is a Medium Heavy Wood with a SG of 0.59.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:56:59 am by Justin Snyder »
Steve in LV, NV