Author Topic: Deep hook  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Deep hook
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:39:30 am »
I have always put the string on the tabs of the last joint on my fingers (split fingered) but I watched masters of the barebow and EVERY one of those archers had a deep hook string grip. Does it help? I shoot fairly well and with practice I feel like I do very well. I was trying to think of advantages of deep hook but didn't know of any. What is good about it?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Deep hook
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:30 am »
  I've tried the deep hook but it seemed to lead to plucking the string for me. I use bare fingers and develop callouses on the tips/pads of my fingers. Like the clean snap I get doing it this way and never worry about losing my glove. Not trying to be macho because it does get sore if I lay off shooting a while...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:34 am »
Years ago a friend showed me the deep hook to improve my shooting. He claimed you get a cleaner release doing it that way. I used the method for a while but have settled somewhere in between.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 12:13:23 pm »
Any pics of deep hook or shallow hook??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:01:03 pm »
No pics but with a deep hook the string lays across the second joint of your fingers and with a shallow hook the string rest across the first joint of your fingers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

ArrowCrazy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 12:56:32 pm »
The deep hook helps to align the wrist and forearm to the string and keeps the muscles in the forearm relaxed = better form = less or no string torque = eases of release when applying the last bit of back tension = more consistency.  and who wouldn't want that?  everyone on the video is using it and they have won the world titles many times?...if it feels bad you may have been doing it wrong for years...so of course it feels different...it is what my coach tells me!

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:28:39 pm »
Thank!