Author Topic: From East Central Florida  (Read 4667 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

From East Central Florida
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »
Hey y'all I'm from the coast of Florida about midway on the peninsula.  I'm 22 and I've always been interested in the natural world.  It started off with reptiles, then branched off into other animals, then plants, then foraging, and now bow making.

I didn't want to join the forum until I actually made something that shoots so I could be bringing some experience to the forum.  However, I have very little archery experience.  When I was a kid we made palm frond bows and I've shot a few compounds here and there.  My ultimate goal in primitive archery is to harvest a wild pig with all primitive equipment. 

I've made two attempts at full size bows and I've been scaring the squirrels in my yard this evening with my latest one.  The first one I tried was from a pop ash limb from the back of my family's land.  It was a real nice piece of wood and I didn't have to mess with the back at all.  I was so paranoid about making the draw weight too low that I went way too slow.  While I was still floor tillering it a splinter popped out of the back due to too much curvature in one section of the bow.  I may go back and attempt a repair later.  My second one that I've been shooting came from a crepe myrtle stave.  This one went way quicker!  I left the bark on and had it shooting in only a few weeks.  It's got some twist in the limb so the string isn't in the center but it still shoots pretty accurately so I'll shoot it until some of my other staves dry in the Spring. 

When I make bows I have a few criteria that I'm trying to hold to.  I want to use all natural material that I harvested/gathered near where I live and I want to only use basic tools.  Right now all I've been using is a hatchet, wood rasp, and sandpaper.  For example, right now I'm using a string made from agave fibers that I gathered.  Once I get a squirrel I'll be able to graduate to a squirrel hide bow string.

I've messed with arrow making a little bit.  I made one complete arrow but it wasn't very good.  I need to make a better batch of pine pitch.  I've knapped a couple decent arrowheads.  I've made three and two fletch fletchings and I think I prefer the two fletch style.

Oh, and I'm in college right now as an electrical engineer and I should graduate next year!

I've got a youtube account that I plan to post some relevant videos on.  I've got a cordage and cuban treefrog video in the editing process so you can see that my channel will have a good variety.

Without this forum I would have never been able to make something that shoots in two tries.  Thanks you guys so much!

Kudos if you actually read all that^ lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Keenan

Re: From East Central Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:16:10 am »
Welcome Tim,
 Sounds like you are off to a good start, and Glad to hear you have decided to intro and interact on the forum. Looking forward to seeing some of your work. Most guys here are of the same mindset of gathering all natural materials.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:53:16 am »
Welcome and glad to see another Floridian. Where are you on the East coast? I'm in the middle, stickbender is in Vero, bonepile in Venice, Parnel in Naples and spyder in Plant City, Ryan is up near brooksville,and there are more. The Alifia Rendevous is this Friday and Saturday in Homeland with lots of knapping and bows and wood available and a knap-in in Dade City in Feb.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:15:31 am »
I'm in north Brevard county.  The existance for my town was due to the space center.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:43:44 pm »
Ahhh, Titusville. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:26:38 am »

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:16:28 am »
Welcome from Plant city, Tim from Mims.  >:D
Like Eddie said if you haven't tried the Rendezvous, you sould drive over. Pre 1840's Lots to see and learn. http://www.floridafrontiersmen.org/Alafia.html

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »
Welcome from Plant city, Tim from Mims.  >:D
Like Eddie said if you haven't tried the Rendezvous, you sould drive over. Pre 1840's Lots to see and learn. http://www.floridafrontiersmen.org/Alafia.html

I just bought a truck from your neck of the woods!  Unfortunately I won't be able to go to the rendezvous.  I've got to take my dad fishing tomorrow. lol once you make plans like that there's no changing them. :D

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:51:47 am »
Hey Tim,

I am a couple hours south of you in Port Saint Lucie. I drive through Mims twice a year on my way to Daytona. Love that area!
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 04:51:30 pm »
I love it too!  There is a lot of wilderness around here and it's great fun to get lost on it.  Fishing is great in this area as well.