Author Topic: Mini-Goliath  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Kegan

Mini-Goliath
« on: October 28, 2007, 05:02:32 pm »
I started this bow last year, but at the time I just had too much trouble tillering it and bringind it down int weight. Well, after claeanign out I found it, tillering it out, and am going to give it to my brother as a birthday gift tomarrow. After Sweetie, he wanted a strong, 75# recurve, but couldn't find where to buy one. He hadn't had much luck with an old, overly-long red oak bow, but "Mini-Goliath here should fix that :).

Here are the specs: 60" long, 75# at 25". 2" wide past mid limb tapering to 3/8" nocks. The naturally offset limbs and narrow handle make this bow center shot. He didn't want a grip, but the bow needed a strike plate, so I just glued a strip of leather the whole length of the handle, inadvertantly making it a two handed bow. Gave it a wild walnut stain and a few coats of linseed. This bow is by far my "best" performer, faster than a modern recurve, smooth, hard hitting, and accurate. This helps assure to me that the American Flatbow is a superior design, even if they do take alot of time to make and tiller ;). Guess Sweetie just has me spoiled ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

a finnish native

Re: Mini-Goliath
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:18:18 pm »
Damn dude! By that much bow building you wont have time for wild partying and girls/women!  ;D
A very nice simple bow. That superior design can be debated. I believe if one makes a good sinew backed bend at the handle bow with the same poundage, it should preform just as well or better. only it should be a Gull wing shaped bow with or without recurves, and also short. something like 50-52" that's what i think.
But then again that is a preference question.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:37:15 pm »
Damn dude! By that much bow building you wont have time for wild partying and girls/women!  ;D
A very nice simple bow. That superior design can be debated. I believe if one makes a good sinew backed bend at the handle bow with the same poundage, it should preform just as well or better. only it should be a Gull wing shaped bow with or without recurves, and also short. something like 50-52" that's what i think.
But then again that is a preference question.

In terms of selfbows I meant- sinew is magic and changes everything ;D. I think the American flatbow is "better" when you compare them with modern bows- faster, react to spine the same way, etc. But I still prefer D bows over flatbows with seperate limbs. Like Sweetie :).

Yeah, I need help ;D. If I don't stop, I'll have enbough bows and arrows to outfit my entire neighborhood three times over :o. Either I start dating soon, or men in white scrubs are gonna have to take me away and put me in a padded room ;Dlol

a finnish native

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:59:58 pm »
;D ;D ;D ;D
I agree with you when comparing to modern bows. even though they cast 250 fps they don't have the same kinda power and authority.

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 10:28:55 pm »
thats awesome Kegan your brother will love that. thats a cool bow
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 10:49:35 pm »
You're doing good on Primitive this month. Self Bow of the Month is coming up on Halloween!  See ya then!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 11:21:09 pm »
That's sweet Kegan - brother should love it. I'm gonna have to stop taking off too much wood, mine ALWAY's come out lighter than I'd like.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:49 am »
Nice bow Kegan,dang you boys must be stout.75LBS.WOO. Nice tiller as usually. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:55:01 am »
looks good Kegan but 75# would dislocate my shoulder  ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 06:34:49 pm »
Thanks guys ;D. My brother is really happy with it. I made some arrows up for him, I just have to finish them up a little later. I should get some pics of them up later this week.

These bows, 75#'ers, don't seem to be much tougher than a 60# sinew backed bow until you shoot it for twenty minutes :o! My brother doesn't shoot as often as I do, but he can still get it to 65-70#. Give it a week and he'll be shooting it fine :).

I really have a problem. I can't seem to stop building bows. I've got them all over the place and I seem be applying more "bow logic" to everything else in every day life :-X. My friends and family are starting to watch what they say, lest I go off on a rant... or tear apart a door just to get at a straight grained oak board ;D. You know, that tree out the window is pretty straight >:D...

a finnish native

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 07:40:45 pm »
I suffer from the same disease :D terrible to have it when so young  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Just took the sinew of 9 moose legs today. it's minus 3 centigrade here so it took all day, and I could not/ didn't wanna do it inside because of the mess, so it took all day. I said that it was fun and everybody took a step away from me :D

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 07:51:03 pm »
I suffer from the same disease :D terrible to have it when so young  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Just took the sinew of 9 moose legs today. it's minus 3 centigrade here so it took all day, and I could not/ didn't wanna do it inside because of the mess, so it took all day. I said that it was fun and everybody took a step away from me :D

It was said before, and will always be said again, there should be warnings on sights and magazines like Primitive Archer that encourgae bowyery. It's a sontagious disease that saps all your time and energy, and messes with your vision, making you see potntial bows and arrows everywhere. Actually, I think all primitive skills are that way :o! It starts with finding a plant that makes cordage or picking up a rock for a tool. Then your outside in minus 3 centigrade taking moose sinew ;D. The only solution... spread it to the rest of the world >:D