Author Topic: My latest kill...  (Read 31721 times)

Offline billy

My latest kill...
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:34:36 pm »
Hey everyone! 

I just got my latest kill, a fat red fox squirrel.  He started barking at me, so I shot at him but missed.  He actually jumped onto a small osage tree (which is kinda ironic because that's what my bow is made of) and got closer to me.  He was only about 13 feet away when I hit him in the pelvis with the second arrow.  He whirled around and tried to climb back up the tree, but the arrow got stuck in the branches so he couldn't move. The third shot went through his chest and killed him.  After the 3rd shot, he sat there for only 4 seconds, then fell outta the tree. 

I used a 51 pound Osage self bow, rivercane arrows with dogwood foreshafts, and stone points made from north GA chert.  The first shot that missed was tipped with a point made out of green bottle glass. 

One of the pics is me w/ the squirrel, the other is of the two points that I got him with.  Enjoy! 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

tradrick

Re: My latest kill...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 10:41:45 pm »
Very cool Billy.Nice shootin,and I like your knapped points.Georgia chert,should'nt be any shortage of that.tradrick

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 10:42:19 pm »
From the looks of it all the female fox squirrels are crying tonight.lol. Nice harvest!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline white wood

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 11:07:45 am »
hahahaha tracy i just got it!!!  :D  ;D  :o   way to go billy! are ya gunna eat it and save the skin till you get a few more to make a bowstring? nice points too! do you knap? -white wood
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:28:58 am »
Good story billy. Just more proof that stick's and stone's do kill >:D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 11:36:51 am »
nice shootin!

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:14:36 pm »
Hell yeah I knap!  Been doing it for 17 years.  The points I use are usually the ugly ones, my really pretty ones go in a case.  The ones that have broken corners or are messed up in some way end up on my arrows.  But I do make sure that they are sharp.  Hit an animal in the right place with one, and they are incredibly lethal.

Marietta, Georgia

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 05:22:38 pm »
Billy, STONE on SQUIRL!!! Come on buddy those things take time to make. Break out the blunts!!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
Great job Billy. When you get to hitting those small targets you know you can hit the big ones.
David, they take time but blunts cost money. Most knappers have an almost unlimited supply of points to small for big game that have to be used somewhere.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 03:31:47 pm »
Wish I had time to make them! No time these days so points of stone are precious unto my heart! My PRECIOUS!!!! MY PRECIOUS!  (Name that movie!!!)  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Primitive Kid

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »
nice

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 08:35:31 pm »
wasnt that the psychos pet dog name in silence of the lambs?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 11:18:11 pm »
Lord of the Rings, Return of the King. 

Hey wait, this is a year old thread.  Man I feel silly. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:20:27 pm »
It's smeigle form lord of the rings. Nice squirrel. Wish i could hit them they just laugh at me and scramble when I actually get too close.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 12:41:47 am »
Took a year but someone got the quote right. Finally!!!