Author Topic: Archery Form Critique Vid!  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Archery Form Critique Vid!
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:12:45 am »
Here's a Video I just made with "Sassasin":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIP89hJB398

I filmed a few different angles so hopefully you guys can see whats up. If there is anything you think might be wrong, let me know. I'm always striving for improvement.  :)

The video seemed too quiet on its own so I added some music, nothing too crazy though.  8)

I only have 2 full size fletch heavy arrows with target points on them but It was really annoying having to reset the camera after every 2 shots, so I grabbed a couple old cedar arrows in addition to my normal arrows. Ordinarily, I use all the same kind of arrow for consitency.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:23:40 am by Christian Soldier »
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Archery Form Critique Vid!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:29:43 am »
Nice looking bow,looks like a good bend,I didn't see anything wrong with you form,looked good to me.Enjoyed the video.  :) What did you say the bow wood was,not real clear and I don't hear all that well anymore. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:43:07 am »
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:54 am »
Cool it's a beauty.The grain is awesome. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:09:02 am »
Your form looks pretty good there, Dan.  I think you should try holding a little longer at anchor if you're working on conscious aiming.  That first shot, in particular, was really fast.  Holding longer will allow you to transfer tension from your arm to your back.  I couldn't see your back very well in the vid, but if you rotate that right scapula towards your spine you've got more or less the right motion going.  One other thing I noticed was that you seem to be aiming very early in your draw cycle - like before drawing.  It's okay to take a look at the target prior to drawing, but you don't want to aim too early in the cycle.  Try working on your draw, and after you have come to holding then try aiming and see how that works for you.  Also, as a mental thing - try to make every shot go in the bull's eye, not just hit the target.  Really make sure your arrow point alignment is dead-on, and pay close attention to your gaps as you vary the distance.  When I was shooting the state championship last week, I think it highlighted flaws in my training, and one of those was not making every arrow count.  I'd been too worried about aggregate score of 5 arrows and not worried enough over precisely what each individual arrow was doing.  The stress of competition really highlighted those weaknesses for me, so it's an important aspect of the mental game to think about.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:32 am »
Good form overall.  Most of your shots you paused at anchor just before release but on a couple of them you released as soon as you got to anchor.  I've seen archers do both and shoot well but, normally, you want to either pause before release on every shot or release upon hitting your anchor point on every shot.  Consistancy of form is essencial for good shooting.  Great looking bow by the way.