Author Topic: Sassafras Self Bow! (Pic heavy :) )  (Read 12981 times)

owlbait

Re: Sassafras Self Bow! (Pic heavy :) )
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »
I like it a lot and I have a bunch of sassafras! Thanks for posting. :)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 09:37:45 pm »
Looks really cool!  Nice job!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline DavidV

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:35:45 pm »
I cut a 2 inch "branch" of Sassafrass that was growing straight up for 10 feet without knots. I say "branch" because it was a shoot from a fallen tree. I thought I'd make a walking stick or something from it but maybe it would handle a long bendy-handle design. Being so small, and having poor tension strength should I decrown it and back it?
Springfield, MO

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 10:49:42 pm »
Beautiful job on that.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline coaster500

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 10:56:42 pm »
That is a shooter :)

I tried Sassafras once but didn't work out near as well....  great job!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 07:52:22 am »
Man that turned out sweet,love the grain,that's a beauty. Never made one from
Sassafras but have a good friend in IN. that uses it a lot and turns out some nice bows with it, I May need to quite building bird houses with it and try a bow after seeing this one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 10:11:21 am »
I cut a 2 inch "branch" of Sassafrass that was growing straight up for 10 feet without knots. I say "branch" because it was a shoot from a fallen tree. I thought I'd make a walking stick or something from it but maybe it would handle a long bendy-handle design. Being so small, and having poor tension strength should I decrown it and back it?

Thanks Guys!

David, this is my first Sass bow but I've also seen a few narrower ELBs. If you definitely want to make a bow, keep it long and as wide as you can, and crown and backing it would not be out of the question. I spent several time-worthy hours making sure this stave stayed 2 1/4" wide most of the limb to handle the stress.

Even though I have a new found affection for Sass, I still might go walking stick on that one. with the high contrast grain you'll be the envy of the hiking community. 2" branches are good for osage bows, but you'd be making a lot of extra work for yourself if you are working with sassafras.

I have a very large Sass tree close to a foot across that I plan making some ELBs from, I guess I'll know more then.  :)

I know many of yall are considering making these Sassy bows now. Keep em wide and long and you'll be alright. And the bigger the tree (the lower the crown), the better.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 10:47:06 am »
   SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
   I've had a couple SASSAFRAS bows. They are supper light arn't they. Mine were supper fast but the were all in the mid to upeer 60's. With one sinewed bow being 70 #s.  I like the lightness but SASSAFRAS will swist if you don't leave the stave big while seasoning.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 11:19:04 pm »
Beautiful bow, Dan!  I really love the grain pattern on that and the way you retained some of the cambium on the back.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 11:31:24 pm »
That's a sweet bow! And the best thing about working with sassafras is, if it don't work out you can make rootbeer out of it. Haha!
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline DavidV

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 05:38:38 pm »

Thanks Guys!

David, this is my first Sass bow but I've also seen a few narrower ELBs. If you definitely want to make a bow, keep it long and as wide as you can, and crown and backing it would not be out of the question. I spent several time-worthy hours making sure this stave stayed 2 1/4" wide most of the limb to handle the stress.

Even though I have a new found affection for Sass, I still might go walking stick on that one. with the high contrast grain you'll be the envy of the hiking community. 2" branches are good for osage bows, but you'd be making a lot of extra work for yourself if you are working with sassafras.

I have a very large Sass tree close to a foot across that I plan making some ELBs from, I guess I'll know more then.  :)

I know many of yall are considering making these Sassy bows now. Keep em wide and long and you'll be alright. And the bigger the tree (the lower the crown), the better.
[/quote]

I think I'm gonna go for it anyway. I'll keep it long, bend through the handle, decrown, and back with paper. Actually I'll keep the poundage low and maybe give it to a lady friend of mine.
Springfield, MO