Author Topic: I finally found a arrow that shoots good out of my self bow!!!!!!  (Read 11033 times)

Offline twisted hickory

Hello guys and gals,
I just wanted to pass on some stats that may save you lots of messing around with arrow combos when tying to match up arras to your self bow. I tried 45-50 lb poc they shoot where I look if they are full length. They have 5.50 shield cut feathers w left helical fletch 125 gr tips. When I cut them back to 29 inches they hit left about 4 inches at 20 yards. (I am right handed shooter). I added a taper from 11/32 down to 5/16 at nock end from center to nock and this helped somewhat but still not what I need. The poc weighed from 480 gr to 430 at 29 inches length.
Bow stats:
68 tt
50 lbs @ 27in
flat bow design with last 10 inches of tip tapering to 9/16
bow is 3/16 from center cut.
The bow does have some hand shock compared to a pyramid bow that I built but it is a steady shooter

Arrow stats;
Red osier doweled down to very slightly over 5/16, 125 gr point, three left helical 5.50 shield cut feathers, total arrow weight is 540 grains, the lightest one is 518 grains. They are a little slower but at least I can hit what I am aimig at out to 35 yards.  The shafts were harvested here near my house, dried for 8 weeeks near my stove, straightened, stained, varnished and assembled. I dried them till they didn't lose any weight for 10 days then set them in my basement where rh is about 40% then began putting them together.
Attached are picts of the bow. I will get some picts of arrows up later
Hope this bit of info helps someone out. If I would build a spine tester it would have saved some work but then what fun would it have been. ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: I finally found a arrow that shoots good out of my self bow!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:06:36 pm »
And those stats will work every time....until the slightest change happens to one of any of those many, many variables.  And that includes someone else's bow, someone else shooting, etc, etc.  Sometimes I think even phases of the moons of Jupiter effect arrow flight!

But if you love solving problems, matching a set of arrows to a bow is right up your alley.  Oh but the joy of a good flying set of arrows, mmm, mmm!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:29:11 pm »
That is for sure Hal. I have been struggling to get a combo that shoots without hitting left all the time. I can get that with cedar if my form is just perfect. I do want to put 160 grain points on the cedar to see how they work. These arrows seem to be more forgiving. I will shoot them some more and see how they hold out. If they work good....Watch out turkeys this spring >:D
Greg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:41 am »
If mine fly good,no wobble I just cant the bow a little more to get the left out.
Key for me is the arrow flies good,I can work out the rest,the 160 tip will probably help,it will weaken the spine on the ones you cut to 29 just like leaving them longer will do. :) Glad you found something you are happy with. Shoot shafts and cain seem to be a bit more forgiving on spine because of the natural tapper in the shaft.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »
Pappy,
I do cant the bow a little any ways as if you are sitting in a blind/treestand it's hard to shoot straight upright style. The flight is pretty stable, just a little wobble as the arrow recovers from the paradox. It boils down for me is do the arras hit where I am looking. These shafts really have no taper to them when balanced on a knife the balance point is 1/8 towards the nock end without the point.  I am gonna make one more that weighs 540gr and six others that weigh in right at 500 and see what happens. Then I will have to make a 45 pound bow to shoot the 500 gr arrows ;) Is it possible I have an addiction? :o if so I don't want therapy 8)
Greg

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:04 pm »
Good!  Because there is no therapy.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 03:47:32 pm »
   TWISTED HICKORY  maybe I see your problem already. Along time ago I have a freind built a board bow with small cut out above the shelf just like yours. He also shot 3 /12 fletch. He shot left with everything he used.
  PROBLEM his tall feathers were hits the upper curve of the cut out. Sending your arrow s left everytime. This is also where your wobble comeing from. You have to really can't your bow for it to afect the left right. Maybe your haveing the same thing happen. That is a pirty small cut out.
 Just a thought.

Your bow looks pirty center shot. I've found out a the closer to center shot your bow. Useing a shoot arrow you have a lot of spine torancess. 10#S Easy , 5 or 6 pounds each way from your bows weight.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:30:11 pm »
I was wondering that. I got it shooting good now. (With all the winter cloths on heavy gloves and such it is a little touchy.) When it was warm without gloves I am happy with how it shoots now. I won't make another one like it though. My next one is without a cutout. I just don't like the looks of it. I know if my third finger is pulling on the string too much it hits left also. ::) Hope to harvest a turkey with it and my arrows this spring....
Does the arrow go that far up upon release? The cut out is like 2 inches tall.
Thanks,
Greg

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:34:46 am »
   It's not hitting thr top but your curve starts pirrty low. When you draw and release your arrow raises somewhat so a feather  may be touching it. You can make you fad longer.
  Not the best pic's.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING