Author Topic: PROPERTY MANAGEMENT  (Read 5654 times)

Offline crooketarrow

PROPERTY MANAGEMENT
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:31:37 pm »
   Will talk a little about the deer that use your proberty.
  YOU NEED TO KNOW THE NUMBERS OF DEER THAT ARE USEING YOUR PROPERTY TO GET A MANAGEMENT PLAN STARTED GOING.
   I do this a couple in a couple of ways. You just can't go out andwalk around and deside on the number of deer your property has by the numbers of tracks and trails.  People see tracks in mud or snow and tell you the numbers of deer they have. One deer makes alot of tracks in a couple days 1,000s.

Here's another thing I run across alot. People tend to think their property is the center of a deers home range. All deer are going and comeing from their land. Your object is to increase age structure of your herd (bucks). As well as the number of deer your property well hold.  I focus on increase the natural food scorces as well as add food scorces and water scorces if need be. And add or thicken up bedding areas. We'll get back and learn about doing that later.

You just can't get the deers numbers by hunting and looking at track numbers. First off people (hunters) just don't want to believe that the spots their hunting that every deer there is surpose to come past them. They spend a couple times there and say there's not many deer around here. Pressure,food scroces and simply time of the rut and year has a major influences.

Let me tell you a very true story. I'd and other family membersthat hunted this 700 acer farm I'd hunted it from a kid up. This was 25 years ago. You me and a cousin went down a checked this place out. It was back then one of those places A week before season it was leasted. I knew of a farm over 300 acers that anyone could hunt but no one really did. We found one little rub in a field. It was a week  before rifle season. It did'nt look good but we but up 2 stands each anyway.
  5 Bucks were shot out of my cousins one stand in that first week. We end up shooting 2 others that second week. I hunted that farm and a 88 acer farm I leasted next door. Me and 2 cousins end up leaseing it for 26 or 27 years I arrowed and rifle shot 42 bucks. I let 100's of small bucks walk. My 2 cousins I know know the numbers but I say they killed over 25 between them. They only rifle hunted and the one only first day and the SATURDAYS.
 IF WE WEN'T FORCED TO HUNT IT THAT YEAR. IF WE'D HAD GONE BY THE SIGN WE SAW THOSE 2 DAYS WE SCOUT IT. WE'D HAD HUNTED ELSEWHERE.
  So no matter how good your scouting is with out the time there,glassing, running camers there just no way of knowing whats there.

If I'm in farm country that has a lot of open land. I relie on glassing the summer JUNE,JULY,AUG. and I will and do spend every morning and evening somewhere.
  But you can't totally relei on glassing. Many places this can't be done to it's full efect.  So you have to go to next best thing. In the last 25 years, you have the greatest scouting tool we ever had. THE DEER CAMERA you just need to learn to use it correctlly. And I don't mean just get that 10 maga pick picture of that buck. To show off to your friends. Thats the reason 99% of the people have them.
    I'd bet you and give you odds that 99.9% of to pic'.s of that mature  ( 41/2 OR OLDER) buck rarely gets see again in the day light and even a less chance of that deer geting shot and even a lesser chance of him haveing a arrow scent his way. If you add self bow to that the percentage is O to none.
  Along with glassing I run camers but not through the summer or season. GOING TO AND LEAVEING YOUR SCENT BY MOVEING AROUND,PULLING CARDS thats putting to much unneeded pressure or the deer on you property. No matter the time of year.
   IF YOU WANT A CHANCE AT A MATURE BUCK IN THE DAYLIGHT OTHER THAN THE RUT. You have learn to manage your pressure at all times.
  I only run camers after season and through the winter. At this time I put cameras on small bait sites(piles) . I grantee you when food scorces get low a couple well places camers WHERE YOU CAN RIDE TO THE EDGE OF COVER and don't spread your scent all over the place. I know your saying it's along way to next hunting season THAT DON'T MATTER. BUT ANY PRESSURE ANYTIME HELPS TO STOP THOSE MATURE BUCKS FROM WALKING AROUND IN THE DAY LIGHT COME THE NEXT HUNTING SEASON.
    You must keep these sites well baited for them to find out there, there nd there going to stay thee . Keep them baited in the winter will get pic's of 100'% of the deer useing you land. Depending on the size of the land determens how many baited cameras I set out. As the years roll by you quickly get a better feeling of the true numbers. Without working at it so hard.
  Starting in FEB I run cameras though out FEB,MARCH,APR at refreshened minteral sites.  Deer use minteral sites now regurely. By the time you do this coupled with glassing and baited sites I'll have a perrty good idea the number of deer useing your propertly. But even then I don't kill any does. I'll wait and do it again the second winter before I start killing any doe's that need to be killed. I just like to have the correct numbers before I start killind any doe's need to be removed. 
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Slackbunny

Re: PROPERTY MANAGEMENT
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »
First chance I get, I'm buying up some property, just to have for hunting and recreation, and maybe a bit of firewood here and there. But alas the budget of the university student doesn't allow for it.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:56:16 pm »
   I don't own any hunting land you don't have to to better where you hunt. You hunt somewhere don't you.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:16:45 pm »
Yes I do, and I pretty much have it to myself.... but it's about a 50 minute drive from where I live, and I can't expect it to be there too much longer. They've been cutting in and around the area, so at any time, my favorite areas are likely to be cut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »
 When you saw cut do you mean logged.
  Alot of people see it as a wasted area. But to deer in a year or 2 come from a far for the new food.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:01:24 pm »
  Alot of people see it as a wasted area. But to deer in a year or 2 come from a far for the new food.

Some of my best spots are where the town logged 2-3 years ago.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »

Doesn't seem to hold true here. There are just so many clearcuts around that the deer don't need to travel very far to find them, and most cuts see a lot of hunting pressure, and drive-bys.

I have hunted cuts pretty hard for the past few years, but have always had far more luck in the woods and in the fields. Now the moose on the other hand love the cuts and I could go out and find a few moose any day of the week.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:27:35 am »
   I can tell around here in the mountains are perty much old growth and even the second growth is way to old for browes. So there not much browes and a clear cuts here draws deer like crazy.
 For about the first 2 to 3 years when the sun hits the ground and promoats lots of new growth it's a major food scorce. From 3 to 5 years it becomes a food scorce as well as a bedding area. After 5 to 7 years and then on it's just a good bedding area. This the time mature bucks start useing them a lot more than Just food and doe's.
  Most of our clesr cuts are on privite land or where you just can't ride past.
  Sure they draw pressure there easy to get to and to hunt. Plus it's where the deer are. Maybe with all the pressure the deer useing it a lot more at night then you think.
  Why do you think the moose are there. Just like deer it's where the food is.

Offline darwin

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:07 am »
I wish I had time to do this kind of work but I hunt my families ranch and its 3 hrs away!! So i rely alot on my uncle who lives there to help me get ready, but between his kids, job, and my fading Grandparents he rarely has time to do much if any management. Also doesn't help that i'm the only one who bow hunts in my family (large family and everyone hunts the same property) so everything is set up for rifles and that's all anyone thinks about.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:33:01 am »
   Your luckyer than you know. You have the whole place to yourself to bow hunt. Your 3 hours away so what take weekin trips or anytime you can. So what if it's set up only from rifles. Get away from the feeders and make you own set ups. I'd never hunt off someone else's scouting anyways. You said your family all rifle hunt. Get with them and start a managemnt program. I'M SURE THEY'ED LIKE TO START SHOOTING NICER BUCKS.
  I have a family also and I know how demaning they are. But it's like anything else if you really want something you find the time. I'M  THERE WHEN I'M NEED TO OR FORCED TO BE THERE. Then it's my time they can follow me around help out or stay home I don't care. A few hours here or there won't matter.
   THEY GROW UP WITH OR WITHOUT YOU