Author Topic: backstrap sinue  (Read 13602 times)

Offline chessieboy

backstrap sinue
« on: October 27, 2007, 08:49:46 pm »
I was cutting up a deer the other day and was having a difficult time getting the backstrap sinue off.  I was going to post on here to find any hints. Before I had time to get on the computer I wanted to freezer pack the deer up.  Recently I started par-freezing my deer prior to vacuum sealing it up.  I find it easier to seal, this way the sealer doesn't suck all the juice out of the meat. Anyway back to the subject, I started cutting the back strap up into portions. When I made my cut I started from the side opposite to the sinue. I left just a little bit uncut at the sinue side, bent the strap in half and the sinue peeled right off. I think the key to this is that the backstrap wasn't completely frozen just til the meat was firm not a solid brick.
Anyone else have any other hints at removing the sinue? Hope this helps anyone getting started.

Bill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: backstrap sinue
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:24:28 am »
I usually take them off before I cut the backstraps off the deer-just work a dullish knife blade between the sinew and meat enough to get fingers in there, and ease it off. I have also cut it off the backstraps after removing them by using a fillet knife, same way you skin a fish fillet. I might have to try the semi-freezing thing you mentioned.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 06:36:48 pm »
I cut the backstrap of and lay it down on the table with the sinew side down.  Then I just take a sharp knife and start it between the meat and sinew. Once it is started I lay the knife flat with the table and slide it down the piece.  Its works great, just like filleting a fish.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:33:37 am »
I do about like justin and then just lay it flat meat side up and scrap the meat off the sinew.GregB does it like Hillbilly,Either way works fine. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John K

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:53:26 pm »
Pappy, Do you wash the sinew after you have it scrapped or do you dry it as it is  ???

Thanks FB
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 07:48:15 am »
My first batch I just dried as is, second batch I soaked in cold water to get some of the blood out.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 09:26:03 am »
What Dana said.You can scrap most all of it off without to much trouble then
rinse it off and lay it out flat to dry,I guess it will last forever after that.I have some
several years old and it is as good as new. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 10:24:02 am »
Thanks ! Thats kind of what i thought.
The only way to fail is to never start !