Author Topic: 1st flinter  (Read 5058 times)

Offline wildman

1st flinter
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:55:48 am »
My first black powder build. It's a .45 cal Ky longrifle. Im well pleased with how it turned out. Ready to do another 600-700 reasons It will be awhile!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wildman

Re: 1st flinter
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:58:57 am »
For the record it took almost as long to post the pic as it did build the gun. I hate photo sizing!!!!! thanks to  my wife for the pic.

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:37:02 pm »
very nice brother.i wish i had the skill to make one.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:36:58 pm »
  Just  a  beauty!!! it's great   that  these will  never go away!!   just  a  question,,,do  you  do  anything  to  the  ram rod  so  it won't  swell  up  and  get stuck in the stock???  don't ask  me  where that question came from  :(  JeffW

Offline darwin

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:49:38 pm »
I have been wanting to make one for awhile just cant get the money together for it

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:52:05 pm »
Nice smoke pole! You make the stock from scratch?

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:53:24 pm »
The ramrod is kiln dried hickory,I did sand the blazes out of it to get fit"just right" I hope it wont swell as it fits tight. It was also heated to produce  stripes and sealed with several coats of linseed oil and a bear grease/beeswax mix. The stock is walnut also treated same way. I am using fouled patches to try and patina the brass. A 95% inlaid stock definitely puts a build well within the talent i have seen displayed by most everyone on this sight. Believe me if I can do anyone on here should be able.

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 01:57:19 pm »
I bought the stock at 95% took a lil chisling and minor fitting. I have a few nice walnutblanks I am going to try a stock from scratch with the help of a few mentors. I hope to one day build a true scratch built rifle.

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »
Awesome!
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »
My first flinter nearly got used up with all my efforts to keep the brass polished British Naval Inspection Bright!  Nowadays I really go for the dull and discolored look.  The used patch trick works!

Any chance you can get your lovely wife to post some detail pics?!?!?!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wildman

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:28:02 pm »
JW, she is chomping at the bit to build her own. Which is kinda ironic. That pretty lil lady got shot with a.54 cal ball back in November and lived to tell about it. 

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
Glad your wife is ok you did a really nice job on the gun I finished a 32cal Bedford county long rifle last year getting ready to start a 45cal Bedford there a lot of fun to build.
Rob

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 04:51:43 pm »
She's my kinda gal!  How about detail pics of her, now!

She and I would make a great couple.  I got hit in the back with a .62 caliber ball at the shooting range.  Picked it up and chewed out the guy that shot it for not being more careful!  Yup, I'm bulletproof.

;lkjaopiuerpoq cnn....HI, i'M JOHN'S KEYBOARD.  I HAVE TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT.  THE BALL WAS SHOT FROM A FLINTLOCK PISTOL LOADED WITH ONLY 10 GRAINS OF POWDER.  IT BOUNCED OFF A 25 YD TARGET BACKING OF RUBBER BELT MATERIAL, OFF THE GROUND, AND THEN STRUCK HIM.  HE'S FULL A SH...klma ;cpoqwieurpqf v

Darn keyboard!

Whatever the situation, that there is a pretty rifle, Wildman.  Thanks for sharing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »
Nice job on the gun.  You have to tell us how she got hit with the 54 cal.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wildman

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 10:02:16 pm »
She was in a ladder stand beside the hangon I was in. I stood up and leaned my caplock Hawkins against the tree and pushed the seat into it to secure it (bad idea) my saftey strap was tangled. When my weight shifted the gun tumbled out of the tree,it was on halfcock. the hammer caught a tree branch discharging the gun. 54 cal round ball loaded with 80grs fff. The ball cut 2 maple branches thumb size, hit her in the right butt cheek exited 4inches later all flesh wound. My wife weighs 128lbs on a good day not alot of fanny to shoot. No cell phone service, firemans carry to the truck scared to death. The gun was less than 8ft when it went off pretty well cartirized the wound. I am no fan of caplocks flintlock much safer keep a leather pad on the frizzenpan always. Also common sense goes along way. I feel we all get lax from time to time. We really have a new outlook on life now!

-Eddie Vedder-