Author Topic: Black Locust/Rawhide Bow  (Read 11685 times)

Offline autologus

Re: Black Locust/Rawhide Bow
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 12:39:05 pm »
Stunning bow.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 02:29:56 pm »
Very, very nice! It's the only wood I have found so far I can't work...for some reason it makes me sick! I bet I burned up 30 nice staves because of my allergy to it! :embarassed:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:40 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It seems like a lot of us have bl staves laying around! I have a few drying here at the house and some more at the farm seasoning.

Vinemaple, I hope I don't develope a reaction! I have mild one to Osage now that shows up when I'm sanding. I have to wear a mask. Yew is some nasty stuff for me as well. I can shoot it just fine though. :D just can't work it. I though I was gonna die. Luckily black locust hackberry, and elm don't bother me. Ash doesn't either.

John I just sand them down and then before I apply my finish I rub them down with a piece of leather or really anything soft even an old piece of shirt or denim.

Glad I didn't let you down pappy. Sorry I was misleading. :D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »
In a word, GORGEOUS!!!!!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline seabass

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:46 pm »
man,you did a great job on this one.i really like the tips and you handle wrap.you nailed it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 12:19:14 am »
Great pics and one awesome bow-such attention to detail,amazing-Hammertime

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:11 am »
Not trying to spook anyone just a heads up. Black locust has a special place in the carcinogen category here is a link... http://www.tacinelli.com/dust-containment-system/woodcarcinogenhart.pdf  Yes, yew and others have the same risks BUT I have heard of many wood turners coming down with nasal cancer from what they thought excessive use of locust. I have supplied wood for wood turners for years, and this is well known...mask up!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Eastman

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 07:11:54 am »
I love it! Nice work
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 09:30:51 pm »
I like it very much, the snake skin looks great.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline FullDraw

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 04:25:46 pm »
Great looking bow, Dave  I love the horn tips and overall finish. The tiller looks spot on.

FullDraw

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 05:51:57 pm »
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I guess I wasnt watching this one anymore. Anyway, Thank you all for responding with such nice compliments. It made my day again.

vmb- Thanks for posting the link. Very good info for everyone. I almost always mask up now with all wood. I didnt have to before, but I sure do now or my head pays for it later along with my respiratory system.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley