Author Topic: Minimum weight for elk hunting  (Read 8343 times)

Offline Blacktail

Minimum weight for elk hunting
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:23:01 pm »
What do you guys think the minimum weight for hunting elk? I have a bow I am working on and it is 55lbs and I am just wondering if this would be good enough for taking an elk. Thanks John.

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
Re: Minimum weight for elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:26:36 pm »
bring it on down to our tipi village and our amazing outdoor archery range that is currently being destroyed by a lone bull 5x5! Ishi talked about the importance of the arrow over the bow, I believe and i would say it holds a lot of water. Many primitive bows around the world that I have read about weigh in much less than 55# and hunter gatherer folks don't starve!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »
45-50lbs
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline raghorns

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:42:00 pm »
Killed my first elk with a 50lb. longbow...the first shot was back a little far and the second was in the sweet spot...both were complete pass throughs.

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:18:27 pm »
I used to guide and iv probly killd over 30 elk w a bow in the last 40 years bein honest thT 55# will zip clear thru a big bull shot placment and right broad head are the key even a 45# will do the job Brock

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:05:27 am »
In Oregon the regulations I think say #50
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:22 am »
    it may have changed, a few years back in wash. it was min. 40#@ 28in. draw

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 01:33:52 am »
 ::) I hunt both Elk And Buffalo with a 55 to 60# Bow Have had pass thru shots on Buff at 30 yards. Arrow was real sharp and it went where i put it.  >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline hatcha

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:06:15 am »
Article in Apr/May 2012 issue of PA mag titled "Bullstick Journey by Russell Thornberry (page 62). 

He talks of his bow pulling 46# in warm July but 52-54# in the cooler Autumn days (Fall) due to being sinew-backed.  He used a 175gn two-blade, single bevel Ashby-style broadhead and took down a bull elk at ten yards with arrow speed of 160fps.

As wylden mentioned - the arrow has more of a part to play that the bow shooting it.

Check out the article, if you can.  It makes for some good reading!

Let us know how you get on too!!  :)

Offline coxral

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 11:14:55 am »
Got mine with 53# Hickory, and a really sharp Zwickey! She ran maybe 50 yds. total! Arrow placement and sharp broadhead! Not all of us can pull a gazillion pounds, so use a sharp broadhead and put it in the bread basket! My 2 pennies.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:58:10 am »
I guess 60 is a little heavy for deer  ;). Maybe if I set up the shot right I could pin one to a tree so I don't have to track it. ::) Seriously though I shot a doe at 8 yds w a 45 lb recurve and 2 blade broad head, the arrow weighed 447 grains and complete pass thru on her.
Greg

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 04:09:36 pm »
I think most of us think the heavy weights are best, but lots of ladies are shooting big bulls with 45# and less. Shot placement, well spined arrows and razor sharp broadheads are what is important!                  Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 04:36:04 pm »
And to add to the number of people talking about how important the arrow is to this equation....make sure you have flawless arrow flight!  One of best ways to do that, is to build your arrows without fletching and shoot them over and over.  Yup, that's bare shaft tuning at it's best.  If you can get your arrows cut to the length that the spine perfectly matches your bow at your drawlength, the fletching will impart spin and simply tighten up your groups. 

Now your arrows will fly as straight as possible, not wagging back and forth like an over excited golden retriever's tail.  If you arrow is wagging side to side, or porpoising up and down, and strikes the target at the extreme of the wag, lots of energy and penetration is lost.  Or worse yet, the arrow it turned from a rapidly killing shot to one where the animal suffers for days before dying. 

Arrow placement, sharpness of the broadhead, and arrow flight cannot be over empasized.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 04:47:01 pm »
55-60# for me for elk, with heavy arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 05:12:41 pm »
John, the two times I went I was shooting 56#@26" and 600gr to 700gr cane arrows with single blade heads. I never saw an elk so I can't say how well my set up worked but I was confident.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC