Author Topic: First time hog hunt on new property?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
First time hog hunt on new property?
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:57:35 pm »
For all of you hog hunters that like to hunt hogs, and are able to keep them in the area to continue hunting them, what are some suggestions for a first time hog hunter, and it will also be the first time these hogs have been hunted on the property.  It is private land, and with permission only.  I plan on hunting the hogs but also don't want to move them to other areas.  So any and all help would be appreciated.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: First time hog hunt on new property?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:12:53 pm »
Are you hunting from a stand or stalking?  I went on a hunt with a guy from the forum and he really put a large emphasis on wind direction.  Always make sure it's in your face as you move.  Pigs have a very good sense of smell and they generally won't be alone so the odds of one of them picking up your scent is pretty likely.  The wind will blow you scent much quicker than you would expect.  They also hear pretty well so being quite is good.

Pigs go to where the food and shelter is. 

My advice would be to just go out on the land and get really familiar with it and try to get a good understanding of the pigs. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Marks

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:49:06 am »
Play the Wind and be quiet. If you want to keep em around put out yellow acorns.  O:) .

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:14:05 am »
  Hogs are like deer the go whee the food and cover is. But just like deer pressure will make them nocturnal. Just like deer it's not only imporant to hunt the wind but again like deer you have to keep the wind in your favor going and comeing to your stand. Doing this with keeping the wind in your favor while there helps with pressure and your hogs moveing around in the day light.
   I know that people hunter feeders and think thats the only way to do it. And it works but each time your hogs are pressured at a feeder the less they'll use it in the day light. It's much better to set up on trails back aways from the feeder. This way you always have the draw of the feeder with out the pressure right at the feeder.
   Right now your hogs don't have any real pressure on them. Do these things and you'll keep it that way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

ArrowCrazy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 06:18:49 pm »
TexasBoars look for Hog 101 and Elusive Wildlife Technologies Hog 101:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:45:35 pm by Pat B »