Author Topic: traps  (Read 16116 times)

gene roberts

traps
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:08:46 pm »
anybody got any weird or unusual  traps that they make for small game or something.i dont please include how to make them too.thanks

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: traps
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:13:49 pm »
  Might not be wierd,but simple.Try a trap line of Rat traps screwed to the tree baited with peanut butter.squirrels love it
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 10:46:46 pm »
yeah mullet, I used rat traps to capture long-tailed weasels and mouse traps tacked on cedar siding to remove bats from a house.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

gene roberts

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:48:42 pm »
yeah,i guess thats good enough,a got a sort of weird one.get a long pole and stick it in the middle of a feild and put a small trap at the top.it works on hawks,but its kinda illegal.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:19:47 pm »
 Down here in the south,some Folk's like to eat baked 'possum.An easy way to trap them is to take a 55 gal drum and put a can of sardeans' in the bottom.Then lean a 1 x6 to the lip.They will crawl up and jump in like a garbage can.'Coons too.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 12:04:02 am »
That's some purty interesting stuff. I heard of this one when I was a kid running a small trapline. Bore a hole in a block of wood about 2"X2" then drive in four (ground to a very fine needle point) nails angled in from four sides with enough room for a coon to reach in, put some kind of shiny object in the hole. The  coon will reach in and clench his fist around said object and not be able to pull back out past the nails - shazam............he wont let go they said - it never worked for me ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Key

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 08:35:16 am »
Coon trap. Drill a 1 inch hole in a log about two inches deep. Drive two sharppened 6 penny nails at an angle so that each nail comes through the hole about 1 inch from the of the hole. The tips of the nails should be about 1/2 inch from each other.

Put bait in the bottom of the hole. When a coon reaches down to grab the bait and tries to pull it out the nails will hole him until you get there.
Roger

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 02:45:34 pm »
Here is one an ole timer told me about. Take an old fashioned box spring, remember the ones with no fabric? just springs.
Stake it down in the woods, sprinkle corn in it, when old mossy horns comes to eat his antlers get tangled in the springs,
then ... well you get the idear.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

gene roberts

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 11:02:15 pm »
yeah some of those are kinda weird but does anyone have a really weird one.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:00:18 am »
My grandpa told me of a feller back in the depression days ,made a line of small treble hooks(like a trot line)bait it with corn and set it just high enough for the turkeys to get hooked eating the corn.I thought that was a little weird or are ya lookin for like the game mouse trap weird? Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

jamie

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 05:45:41 pm »
i learned the hardway how to make a booby trap with a mousetrap and some salt peter loads. was in somebodies reefer field in ocheechobee when i got hit with one of em. oooowwwwwwwwwwwww

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 06:46:38 pm »
Only traps I know are the Ojibwa bird-snare (the little noose on a loose stick) and Paiute deadfall for mice and rats ???.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 06:57:45 pm »
  Jamie,Ya' huntin' or harvesting? ;D
Lakeland, Florida

jamie

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 07:16:02 pm »
takin the fifth on that one ;D

gene roberts

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 11:26:20 pm »
thanks for the ideas