Author Topic: traps  (Read 16115 times)

shootinbud

Re: traps
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 11:37:49 am »
i use the dead fall style traps with crates instead of rocks for catchin rabbits

Offline Cromm

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 09:47:01 pm »
I've did this one when i was smaller. Get a long bit of string and knot a bit of bacon on the end and cover it with animal fat, leave it out for a turkey and when it eats it, it will out straight out the other end. Now you have a bird on a string....... >:D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

gene roberts

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 11:42:55 pm »
Nice one Cromm.

costicaldad

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 06:28:49 pm »
to catch a pola bear cut a hole in the ice and put peas around it when he comes down for a pea kick him in the icehole

Minuteman

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:53 pm »
That bacon on a stick works with geese too. My grandad told me about a kid that had a half dozen geese on a string when he was a young-un ;)

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 08:16:26 pm »
I built a small version of a "Ed's Trigger" snare at the house Sunday night.
It took a while but, once it was all worked out it worked well.

I hope to build a larger one soon and catch me a beaver.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Postman

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 05:21:40 pm »
That polar bear joke was one of my dad's favorites.....
 I read somewhere that they would coil splinters of bone in a mold and pour in melted fat, , then freeze.  after a polar bear ate several of the chunks, they would thaw and skewer his insides. What a way to go.

I have relocated about 20 copperheads and 2 rattlers from my yard  - the tame corn  snakes I keep in my classroom eat mice, and I put mice "litter" under logs on the perimiter of the yard.  When I get home from work, I take a hoe and a rubbermaid container and flip 'em over one by one. A few copperheads have "not made it", and are waiting for a really good bow, after getting into spaces I couldn't safely catch them.  The rattlers are so rare and reproduce so slow I can't see killing one. This guy was about 43" NTN  (Nose to noisemaker) so his "draw length" was about 18", so as long as I kept a few  feet away, he couldn't get me.  He had 14 rattles. The pair of copperheads was gettin' ready to get busy in April as we moved in 6 years ago.  So Basicsally, I bought a house smack dab on a den site. (Wife was happy to hear this)"mug shots" prove that no snakes returned after release.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 10:50:07 pm »
Postman: Looks like you got plenty of snakeskin backing's there ;). Used to see em like that when I was younger but just don't happen anymore - I'm wondering if their not there anymore or am I alway busy and just dont see em anymore.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 04:32:26 am »

The coon traps sound like the monkey traps.  They would take coconut shell, clean it out, and cut a 3/4 to one inch hole in one end, and use the natural hole in the other end, and run a string through it, and make a knot , so it could not be pulled out, and then they would tie the string to a stake, or limb.  They they would put pieces of coconut in the larger hole, and set the coconut on a log, or limb, and like the coon the greedy monkey would not let go till captured.  Another trap, was for getting rid of rats, and it was just a large, gallon or more jar, with the lid off, and a piece of paper tied over the top, or use a rubber band, and then with a razor, cut a large " X " in the center of the paper.  Then suspend a piece of cheese or bread on a piece of string just above the the " X ", and when the rat goes to get the bait, oops, in he goes.  The one I made as a kid, was filled with water.  Got rid of a couple of rats that way.  Can't remember where I read about that one.  I think it might have been in the " Boys Handbook " a Friend of mine gave me.  It was his dad's.  I was printed in about 1905 or so.  Had things like whale bone shooters, etc.  There is another simple squirrel snare, you can make also.  Just wrap a piece of baling wire, around a limb, and then wrap a loop above the limb, and tie, a slip noose, and suspend it in the loop.  Bait, the trap, or if it is a limb that is used often you don't have to bait it.  You can also use existing limbs, and twigs, on the larger limb to suspend the loop.

Stick Bender

Offline agd68

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 02:40:12 pm »
Another type of trap used to catch coon, skunks or the neihbors annoying cat is  a teepee shaped trap made from stones,logs, dirt etc. the side are too steep to climb back out of.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 02:08:06 am »
I know of a few that are killing traps. there are the figure four that uses a heavy weight to break the animals back. and then the is the pit trap. take a bunch of sharp sticks and stick them into the ground pointy side up and put something flexable over the top. there are snares that you just need some down rigger line or what ever and make a loop and tie the free end to a tree or branch.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 05:04:54 pm »
this is highly illegal, but in a life or deeath situation..anything goes...
an old trapper told me he used to lighten up his laod while on the trapline in the n.w.t. he would haul the wolf,badger,wolverine and bear traps, and buy 3-400pc razor blades .

he would then save his fat and grizzle from the skins and add bacon grease and all along his trapline within eyeshot he put a string of these razorblades in a small sappling about 10 inches from the snowline...

he would simply score and split the sappling and slide insert the blade...

then he would slather it up with the lard.

arctic fox,and cross fox,marten,pine fisher would lick it all up and not even know they were bieng cut!!!!

they would usualy bleed out within 10-20 feet he said and its super quick!

then he re greases it and with the blood all over he said he carried an old russian bolt action mil surp gun, to kill fox and wolves and bear that came in to investigate for a quick meal.

makes ya think huh!
pretty cool i thought.

Offline Postman

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 03:48:42 pm »
Heard a similar story about killing wolves - freeze knife  blade(s) up in the ice of a pond/river, slather with blood and wait...
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 08:49:34 pm »
  A cheap and easy trap for possums and coons is to take a 55 gal drum and lean a board up to the top. A ramp one can walk up. Just put sardines or some other choice meat in the drum and they will jump in and be there when you check it in the morning.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?