Author Topic: Ojam 2013 roll call  (Read 8898 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Ojam 2013 roll call
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:42:43 am »
Ojam 2013 is only a week away. Who's going and how are we gonna recognize each other this year? We will arrive Thursday by noon. I will be the guy that looks like Brad Pitt....lol. Just kidding. More like Andy Gump,hehehe.  I will be the guy with the stash of Hackbery staves for sale somewhere near the main drag and carrying my copperhead osage bow with pride. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Ojam 2013 roll call
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 03:17:46 pm »
I've not been yet, but am interested.  I have the dates as March 21-24, 2013.  Is that correct?  Is there a registration cost that has to be paid in advance?  What facilities are available nearby? Motel?  Greasy-spoon diner?

OneBow

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:36:04 pm »
Yes its the 21-24th.  There is no pre reg just first come first serve on camping spots. There are hotels in Stillwater about 12 miles away. I imagine the boyscout tent will be selling bbq sandwiches and burgers and breakfast burritos. If youre a day tripper you will probabaley have to park outside the event along the road cuz it gets packed pretty quick. If ya hang around after dark with some of the peeps ya meet, you'll have some good company.  Danny

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:26:05 pm »
I'll be there early Thursday morning Danny. I'll be the guy with a splint on my right hand and a sad look on my face cause I can't make bows for awhile. :'(

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:29:57 pm »
Man Jon thats too bad. But you can help be the instructor for all the green peas. Look forwrad to seeing ya. I remember your mug.

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:38:12 pm »
Man Jon thats too bad. But you can help be the instructor for all the green peas. Look forwrad to seeing ya. I remember your mug.

I don't know how to take that Danny.  :oYou obviously are speaking of my unique handsomeness.  ;)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »
That was it precisely, your perty perceptive for an okie....lol   Danny

Offline Poggins

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:41 am »
I'll be there . They are planing a potluck diner on Wednesday evening to give everyone a chance to meet and catch up before the event begins on Thursday ( sounds like there is going to be a lot of fish going in to hot oil) looks like a little bit of everything on the menu , some Dutch oven cooking fish frying and anything else that people bring.
I'll be in a red hat helping one of the yellow hats show new bow builders what to do.
The event is free unless you haven't built a bow before . If you want members to teach you and use their benches then you need to join the OSS , mimberships are $20 for an individual or you can get a family membership for a little more ( memberships are for a year at a time but you can come back in June fore the member camp out and the member only hunt in the fall) other than that camping is free and there are drawings, shoots , and plenty of vendors  there .

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:55 am »
Thanks for the update Poggons. Wish I could make it to that just can't get loose before Thursday.  Danny

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:51 pm »
Well after reading the latest OSS newsletter, I will be arriving on Wednesday. Sounds like the camp spot I've had for years is gonna be R.V. parking. Gonna be tough to find a good spot now.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:27:19 pm »
Is there electricity available at any of the camp sites?  Got a CPAP that needs a little juice...

OneBow

Offline Poggins

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 02:36:51 pm »
No , if you want electric you will need a generator.
The only electric is where the saws are and the vendors are..
If you use a generator there is a time set for when you need to shut them off so everyone can sleep.
OJAM is held on privat land and the have electric run to a pravillian that they have, there is a large pond also but do to the drought it's catch and release only this year and no boats this year ether . You can have a camp fire if you use one of the fire rings available and you will need to take your trash out when you leave ( the Rutter family doesn't charge the club for the use of their land so we try to keep it clean).

Offline Poggins

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 02:50:12 pm »
There is more going on than just bows also , there are flintknappers that are set up close to the vendors. There will be other demos there also.

Offline lons20

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »
Will there be many vendors this year?  I need lots of new stuff!  Also, will they be around Sunday? 

Offline Poggins

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:17:15 am »
There will be vendors , I believe there may be close to a dozen if they all show.
I don't have an exact count but I hear the vendors area will be crowded .
The 20th is the first day they will start letting everyone get started as for Sunday , with all the people that show up for OJAM ( 800 plus last year ) there may not be much left and I think the vendors start packing up early that day if not the evening befor ( some of them come a long ways and try to get he befor Monday ).