Author Topic: Congratulations to Badly Bent for winning January Self BOM!!!  (Read 4335 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to Badly Bent for winning January Self BOM!!!

Badly Bent's G'narly Carla = Buckthorn Bow http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37022.0.html

Here is what Badly Bent (Greg Fits) had to say about his bow:
Well 'Gnarly Carla" isn't her official name yet but it is what I've been calling her since I started taking the knife to her a few weeks ago.  Posted a sneak peak about two weeks ago and now its a finished bow. Came in under target weight by 10# but held together so I'm happy. Inspiration to attempt a bow from a stave I would normally fear comes from post of  bows by Druid, Misslemaster, Keenan, Blackhawk, Simson and others who have posted bows from less than perfect staves.
Specs: 59.5" ntn 45# @ 25" Walnut hull natural dye, whitetail antler tips, deer skin handle with mink fur trim, tru oil and spar finish.  Heat treated a couple times and took about 1 1/4" set overall, the whoop dee doo and natural deflex just past mid limb at top gave me a hard time. Tiller critique welcome.Thanks for looking; Greg Arnold

Here is what forum members had to say about Greg's bow:
Hell yeah.....you nailed that one....  blackhawk
great googly moogly, them's some sweet bows... bubby
Incredible.. Absolutely breathtaking. Great job.  Jon
Looks like two sweet sisters. Rob
Nice work on a tough lookin' stick.  Great job! Slimbob
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:46:28 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Congratulations to Badly Bent for winning January Self BOM!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:09 am »
Congrats Greg!
You did a very good job on a very nice stave!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline beardedhorse

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:33:04 pm »
Greg.  Congrats on unusual bow and wood choice.  I have been making some arrow from buckthorn.  Seems the knots are paired opposite and then next pair of knots are at right angles from previous set.  Did you split the stave with the other half of the knots on the waste piece of trunk or branch?   Anyone out there know the genus and species for buckthorn?  It isn't native to Colorado and just by chance I found it at a propane gas dealer.   Any info on specific gravity and other common names for it besides buckthorn?  Thanks for any replies. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:49:54 am »
Wow.  Just realized you won BOM.  Congratulations.  This bow is to sweet lookin'.  I would love to shoot it one day.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.