Author Topic: Congratulations to Will H for winning Backed BOY!!!  (Read 2886 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to Will H for winning Backed BOY!!!
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:27:24 pm »
Congratulations to Will H for winning August Backed BOM!!!

Here is the link to his build:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34235.0.html

Will H’s SUPER Snakey Osage Bow (Pic Heavy)

Here is what Will had to say of his build:  At this years TN Classic, Gary Davis brought me a very challenging piece of wood. I asked him for something super snakey and man did he deliver! He showed up with two sister staves, one with holes, and one clean as a whistle. Gary said I could have my pick and he would build the other. I really took my time on every aspect of building this bow. This was a special piece of wood and I wanted to get it right. I believe it hit the form 5 or 6 times before it was all said and done to get the prop twist out and sting aligned properly. It was a real test of patience to put it lightly.     During the final stages of tillering I had a few minor longitudinal cracks appear in the big hook on the top limb that almost gave me a heart attack when they decided announce themselves.       All in all the bow tillered out great and shot in fine unbacked. But, in an effort to make this thing bulletproof. I decided to try backing it with some thin rawhide from one of last years doe harvests. Thanks Pappy! It turned out great and I threw a couple road killed northern watersnake skins I got from my buddy in KY. Thanks Shannon     And thanks for the inspiration on naming her! (He took one look at her and said "that bows profile makes me think of Hot Lips Houlihan from that old show M.A.S.H." I laughed and said "Well, its settled then!") And I know I say this about all my new bows but this one really is one of the best shooting, hardest hitting bows I've ever made and I fully intend on hunting HARD with it this year.

Here are the stats:

66" Rawhide backed Osage
50#@27"
1 1/2" at the fades to 7/16" tips
Northern watersnake skins on the limbs 
Bighorn sheep tip overlays  (from Pearl Drums)
Buckskin grip and beavertail arrow shelf
8 strand D97 string
10 coats of Minwax poly

Anyway, heres my NEW sweetheart. "HOT LIPS"  I gotta thank Gary, Pappy, Pearl Drums,and Shannon for the materials and the help.       
And thank y'all fer lookin'     Enjoy!   

Here are what some forum members had to say about: 
Wow!    That is one sexy looking bow! I can only imagine how much work and patience a stave like that requires. Very nice job.  Weylin

Nice work! Full draw shot you would never know how snakey it is with as perfect of a tiller you have on it!!  paulsemp

This is one of those bow you just can't look at once.  I'll be coming back to this post to look at it over and over again.  Amazing work Will.  osage outlaw

Nice finish work on that one singer/song writer! Great tips.  Pearl Drums

That is something else Will.  Simply beautiful.  I love those horn tips and the watersnake skins have a real nice color and pattern to them.  You sure have those snakey osage bows down.  Some of the best photography to boot. CMB

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Congratulations to Will H for winning Backed BOY!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:36:35 am »
Congrats to you Will! That's a heck of a snake!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany