Author Topic: What's easier, wooden or bamboo/cane arrows?  (Read 10145 times)

Offline Dictionary

What's easier, wooden or bamboo/cane arrows?
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:32:04 pm »
What do you guys think is easier to produce into arrows? Wooden shoots or bamboo and rivercane?

I searched but couldn't find a thread on this and I was just curious what other's thought.

I'd say wooden shoots simply because there isn't a need for wooden foreshafts or nock inserts.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:52:20 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What's easier, wooden or bamboo/cane arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:15:21 pm »
That may be a tie.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 07:21:25 pm »
Well, Think. With wooden arrows, you have to carve the whole dang shaft from a block after you split it out, then tie in/carve a point.
with cane, just make a foreshaft/pin, then mount the point. Shoots are probably the easiest to make, no carving at all.
now if you buy shafts, go for wood. its quicker.
I just cut a dozen cane shafts around 1/2 inch diam...
I personally prefer cane. I like it b/c it is IMO less work. I work with hand tools, no jigs, nothing like that.
with modern power tools, wood might be easier.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:41:18 pm »
Probably the easiest is doweled shafting. With cane all you have to do is straighten it and with hardwood shoots you usually have to reduce the shafting some and straighten. Each type of arrow has it plusses and minuses but they are all part of our archery addiction.  Heck, the arrow is the most important part of the archery experience. The bow just propells it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:58:10 pm »
To me it comes down to how well you want the bamboo/cane to work for you.  I can take a dozen dowels and make a dozen arrows ready to shoot before I can get one bamboo/cane arrow finished the way I like them.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:38:50 pm »
To me it comes down to how well you want the bamboo/cane to work for you.  I can take a dozen dowels and make a dozen arrows ready to shoot before I can get one bamboo/cane arrow finished the way I like them.

Then why bother making Boo or cane arrows??  ;D

I agree with using dowels. They hardly need much straightening and they are perfectly sized although they lack the natural taper which allows a slightly heavier front end. However I have stuck mainly to natural shoots. I find them in the right diameter with the proper taper so that there isn't much need to reduce them down too much more. Season, Scrape off the bark, and begin straightening.

I was told though that boo/cane arrows are less spine sensitive than wooden shafts. So you could shoot more of your bamboo arrows through different weight bows than you could with your wooden arrows. Is this true or another myth?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:42:26 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:55:58 pm »
My bamboo experinece the last few years has shown me that bamboo shafts seem to have a slightly larger range. I have 50-55 shafts, but they will shoot from 48-50 up to 60# bows great. They seem to like going over more than under. They stiffen quick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:09:39 pm »
Then why bother making Boo or cane arrows??  ;D
[/quote]

Give it whirl and you'll see why. All part of the journey
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:30:57 pm »
I've never used wooden foreshafts or nock inserts on my cane/bamboo arrows.  I haven't tried any dowel shafts yet.  I bought some several years ago and never did anything with them.  I love the bamboo because of the look of the nodes, they are already tapered, and they are just more natural than dowels.  To me bamboo arrows are like a bow from a stave, and dowel arrows are like a bow from a board.  Just my opinion.  Make and shoot what ever makes you happy.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:12:56 pm »
I don't use footings or inserts in cane shafts either. I cut in self nocks and haft stone and trade points and I taper some for glue on points. As long as you add a wrap(I prefer sinew) at the self nock and behind the hafted heads they are good to go.
 Take the time to learn to make good cane arrows and you will know "WHY"!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 10:24:15 pm »
I've used everything in my neck of the woods;You cant beat switchcane!  JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 11:19:24 pm »
I've never used wooden foreshafts or nock inserts on my cane/bamboo arrows.  I haven't tried any dowel shafts yet.  I bought some several years ago and never did anything with them.  I love the bamboo because of the look of the nodes, they are already tapered, and they are just more natural than dowels.  To me bamboo arrows are like a bow from a stave, and dowel arrows are like a bow from a board.  Just my opinion.  Make and shoot what ever makes you happy.

The main thing keeping me from trying them was because I thought inserts and foreshafts were necessary. Bamboo splits so easily I figured it was impossible to cut into it.

I'm going to cut some bamboo(I don't think I've seen rivercane anywhere round here) before I leave......may make a believer out of me.

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 11:35:06 pm »
I have got some really great bamboo shafts from the garden department of Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart.  Check out my recent post about the target arrows.  They have self nocks and no foreshaft.  The wrapping prevents them from splitting. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 06:38:56 am »

Inserts are not necessary, for bamboo shafts, just try to cut the knock, and arrow head notch with a node close to it.  But even that is not really needed, it just helps, but you can't always get the node where you want it.  But yes, like they said, do wrap in front of the nock, and behind the arrowhead, and tightly! And for the head, you want at least an inch of wrap, even with a node.  Like they said, try making a nice boo arrow, and you will see why so many go the extra step.  Boo also stays straight longer than, dowels, shoots, and store bought shafts, plus they have the fibers running straight the length of the shaft, you don't have to worry about grain run out. ;)  I don't think they are any more work, than lumber shafts, or dowels, as again you have to look for grain run out, and still need to be straightened and then finished, so I don't see a whole lot more time in making a boo shaft, versus a shoot, or dowel, or board shaft.  I hate to run a saying in the ground, but it is true, boo is nature's carbon arrow material.  There are many types of boo shafts to choose from, and each has it's own list of pros, and cons.  Tonkin seems to be king, as toughness, and flexibility.  Sort of like the ugly stick fishing rod, in the abuse it can take.  But if you don't have access to it, use whatever you have at hand, or whatever, you can make the best arrow with.  After all, it will be you who will be praising, or cussing, after making the arrow, out of whatever choice of material. ;
David and Cora Knight are the resident experts on cane shafts on this forum.  They make some extremely fine shafts, and if you did not know anything about boo, you would think it was a carbon shaft.  Which comes back around to nature's...... well anyway, just my opinion, each material has it's own pluses and minuses, but like Osage being the majority preferred bow wood, I think that boo is the preferred shaft material.  There are excellent shoot, and wood shafts out there, Spruce, birch, dogwoods, etc., and those that swear by those materials.  But for me, I think the boo is king. If you can get it.  Which is really not a problem. 

Wayne

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 06:41:01 am »
The reason for me Dictionary is one, the challenge.  And second, nothing comes close to the durability of cane/bamboo arrows.  And no where did I say anything about it being a bother to make them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  My point was if anyone took a dowel and a piece of cane/bamboo and laid them side by side, and started them both at the same time, I am quite sure no one can complete a cane/bamboo arrow in the same amount of time as they can a dowel?????