Author Topic: Arrows waving goodbye  (Read 3435 times)

Offline ThomasJ2352

Arrows waving goodbye
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:10:52 am »
Odd subject but here's the thing....
I'm finding that when I shoot it seems as though the arrows are waving all the way down range.
As an example I'll shoot at 30' and they may be all left...I'll back up 10' and they are back in the middle.
I'll back up to 100' and they continue to wave, albeit in a continually reducing oscillatory manner.
My bow has quite a cutout shelf, though not enough for the shafts to be in a neutral placement.
A couple questions...
1)    is this normal? I have been searching Youtube for slow speed videos and not finding many examples
2)    are the arrow shafts too stiff or too flexible?
3)    I'm using 4" length fletching...maybe need more?
4)    I'm using 100 gm tips...too heavy or maybe too light?
5)    Maybe create a deeper cutout
6)    Maybe holding the bow too firm/light? I find that if I apply a little left hand counter clockwise twist it
        smooths out a bit...seems rather drastic though.

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Offline Newindian

Re: Arrows waving goodbye
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:26:55 am »
Sounds like your arrows are under spined to me
I like free stuff.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:28:49 pm »
How's your string release?  Do you use a glove or tab?  Do you hook the string in the first crease of your fingers?

I'm wondering if you're pulling your hand away from your face instead of straight back - effectively plucking the string?  Or perhaps the string rolls over your fingertips, then when free of them, it spins around, twisting in the arrow nock, maybe causing the tail-end of the arrow to kick out etc?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:21:54 am »
May sound obvious ,................but are they straight? Underspined or over,they should straighten in flight over 100'. find a little dimple in a concrete floor or stone  ,put the tip in and spin the arrow like a top. You'll know right away if it's not straight. Are all of the feathers from the same wing? (left or right) . Is the fletch applied consistant ,helical or straight ? This too will also make them flop around.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:25:14 am by lostarrow »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:31:23 am »
Sounds like an arrow spine issue to me. Try a heavier point and then a lighter point and see if that makes a difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ThomasJ2352

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 01:58:23 am »
Thanks for the suggestions...I think the problem could be everyone of em  :P

I do use a glove but my release is suspect...could never figure out why when guys release their hand gets pulled back behind their head...
I suppose it ensures more of a direct repeatable release rather than the possibility of a pull away....one thing that I didn't think about is
when I pull back I intentionally twist the string clockwise (from top down) with my grip to keep the shaft against the shelf edge....

I have made my own arrows to this point (I'm cheap!) and use both hardwood dowels and bamboo (bamboo seems a bit stiffer but way
too much work  ::) )...the dowels spin pretty straight but the bamboo is all over the place...the the flopping doesn't seem to be specific
to either type though...I use fletching bought from my local archery store...4" lenght but haven't been overly concerned about the uniformity
of the glue jobs I do...the first ones I did I kept them straight but now do a twist.
I'll try different tip weights too....

Thanks again for all the help. Greatly appreciated.
Tom

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 11:42:00 am »
  SIDE WAYS left to right to heavy or light spine.
  UP AND DOWN you need to move your nock point up or down.
  Or you have a bent arrow but a small bend in the aroows use'lly not the problem.
  You cna have both or all 3.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 02:29:12 am »
My arrows are NEVER perfectly straight.
Ever.
Try spine, I have had major issues with it. Also, try heavier points+bigger fletches- they help bring an arrow into alignment quicker.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:56:48 am »
A heavier point will change the spine (lower) Which could work ,if that's your problem.Post some pics of the arrows.

Offline ThomasJ2352

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »
Thanks for the helpful info...haven't had time to experiment much yet...her is a pic
of my arrows...most are relatively straight...one or two of the bamboo warp their own way...

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 09:26:28 pm »
Fletch.   Unless you have both a left and right set up, it would seem that your fletch is all over the map.  If they aren't consistant on the arrow( left helix,right helix or straight  with feathers  that match each other ) they will be fighting each other all the way to the target.

FAW

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:56:10 am »
Just weighing in to assist, Tom - you may have the same problem I experienced off and on over the years. Spine and release could certainly be the problem, however, I corrected my erratic flight problems when I simply moved my hand around the bow a bit until both noise and erratic flight corrected. I had been switching back and forth between two straight handled longbows which were generally the same weight but had different builders. I knew the same spined wooden arrow should work in both, however, one of them had a serious slap and side to side fishtailing. Instead of holding the handle in a suitcase hold as offered by Howard Hill and company, I had to move my meaty portion of my hand out to the side a little bit - the area just under the thumb. This always corrected my particular problem with that bow. One other thing I am finding is bamboo arrows seem to be more forgiving in flight as long as the release is simply a relaxed motion and held through follow-up.

FAW

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 08:13:09 am »
Thomas

What Lostar stated. You would likely see a flight improvement with a matched set of arrows. You have some noticeable variations here, top one is right wing helical, the others either straight or offset, lengths not consistent.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:44 am »
several if not all ,look to have both right and left wing fletch on the same arrow.