Author Topic: Whistle arrow for hunting  (Read 3636 times)

Offline armymedic.2

Whistle arrow for hunting
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:13:37 pm »
So a few times last season i was stalemated with wide open pasture between me and sixty yards or sometimes a hundred yards and a deer.  It got me to thinking one evening as i sat wathing a doe feed, if only i could scare her my way somehow.    Like a whistler way high landing on her far side.  Maybe that was just craziness talking and unlikely for success but it was a theory

Anyone ever tried it?   Low odds i know but when the odds are zero what do you have to lose? Especially if you happen to be sitting on the escape route from the field
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Whistle arrow for hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:27:55 am »
Keith, give it a try in the off season where you really have nothing to loose.   Although being that the sound is originating from where you are the deer might find a different route.
  I've had good luck with a grunt tube over the years. A fawn distress bleat will bring a doe in but she will be on point and ready to fight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:16:49 am »
You'd have to get the whistle at just the right amount of noise so it doesn't hear the take off but hears the landing.  Or you could have something snap when the arrow hits the ground.  ooh or explode.  We used to shoot firecrackers out of a slingshot from my friend's balcony.  An explosive arrow, that's real primitive.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:54 am »
What are the chances that the deer will stop within shooting range ??
Also, the last thing I'd want to do is to scare one into range. They're jumpy enough as is....
well some of 'em are and the others seem to react to the jumpy one.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:04 am »
 Now that you said it. I havn't thought of it in years but A guy told me he had the same problem the deer in a field. I don't know if this is true but he said he'd do it. He never heard him said it resulted in a kill. He said he took little bells and tie 1  on 2 behind his broad head. He said he'd  lob arrows everyday trying to get those deer to come him and his friends way. If all you want is to shoot any deer there's lots of other tatics to kill doe's that works a lot better. Than just hopeing to get one go come your way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 12:01:28 pm »
I think whistleing arrows were used for hunting but for small game or birds. When used in conjunction with a skipping arrow the whistler was shot into a flock of ducks mimicing a hawk. The ducks would light on the water for protection and the skipping arrow was skipped across the water at the ducks.   With small game a whistling arrow would cause a rabbit to become motionless to protect itself from a hawk giving the hunter time to take a shot at the rabbit with a hunting arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:26:06 pm »
I knew i would get some intersting responses here on that.   ;D

I dont have issues getting deer in General, but this one property gives me fits with its open fields. I have called and decoyed deer in there using blinds, but it is the one place i can stalk until my heart is content, and shoot does.   Our land is a buck management area with no stalking. :(

The small game application is interesting

The real deal is trout season isnt open yet, and deer is over

I need a project!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:05:07 am »
  Pat never heard of a skipping arrow.
  Seams that be alot harder than just shooting duck.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 12:11:36 pm »
  Pat never heard of a skipping arrow.
  Seams that be alot harder than just shooting duck.

Might be good for big groups of ducks though, especially if you have multiple archers.