Author Topic: Heavy cane hog arrow(update)  (Read 10034 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Heavy cane hog arrow(update)
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:11:43 pm »
Nothing like putting together some heavy hitting cane hog arrows.  These will be 28" long, with 300 grains up front for a total of 737.6 grains.  They will gain a few more grains when I install the points.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:46:57 pm by stringstretcher »

Offline stringstretcher

Re: Heavy cane hog arrow
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:13:17 pm »
finished arrow

Offline Scottski

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:58:25 pm »
Nice arrows.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:59:14 pm »
Oh wow. Nice arrows. I assume you intend to shoot those off of a powerful bow, cause 700 grains is a bit heavy. Those broadheads look nasty.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 09:31:42 pm »
Yeah Squirrel they will be shot off all the bow I can handle, a 45 lb osage self bow at 26".  And fly like darts.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:19:14 pm »
Looks beastly, charlie!
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 12:38:38 am »
Charlie, you'll be digging those arrows out of the dirt on the other side of the pigs with blood all over them. You make a pretty nice cane arrow.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 07:52:16 am »
I hope so Pat.  And I had some great help and advice on learning to make these.  I am liking them more and more.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 08:27:47 am »
Nice, clean looking arrows.  Should definitly get the job done.

Offline stringstretcher

Re: Heavy cane hog arrow(update)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 03:47:11 pm »
I went down and gathered up a few things to try this morning as I felt something was just not quite the way it should be, so I started experimenting and in fact found a couple of flaws.  The shoulder inside the cane was all one size while the collar on the insert was bigger.  Even after tapering the whole to make it work, I did not like it.  So I got out my calipers and measured everything, TWICE, and then went and found a drill that was just a few thousandths bigger to give me a little glue wiggle room.  Take not, you do not want a dull drill bit, it will crack the cane.  You do not want a sharp drill bit, it will grab and walk up inside the cane.  Lesson learned the hard way.  After getting the bit just right, I had four pieces of cane left that I could use, and went to work.  I drilled very slowly about a 1/4 down in the cane for the collar to ride down and on.  After test fitting each piece to an insert, I put my hot melt on and got the all glued in and spun up.  Looking really good.  I had also planned to put sinew wrap at the point which I did next and most of them are drying now.  I did the one that I had finished yesterday up and did the completion of it with a short cut piece of shrink tubing that I had cut to about 1/2 wide and slide up on the cane before putting the point in, only to find that I could in fact unscrew the point and take it off.  So I put the shrink tubing on, screwed the point back on, pushed the shrink tubing down against the broad head, heated it up and took my fingers and mashed the edges down, and have a rock hard, almost footed cane arrow sporting all this weight up front with no where for it to give and break.  Simply awesome. I will get a picture or two of the four finished arrows when every thing dries.  Man I really like these heavy cane arrows.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 04:44:03 pm »
I just clean out the pith of rivercane, then carve a wooden insert for it, then glue in with epoxy. No drills, etc. I have never split a cane before. I usually make spears, but I have made some arrows(albiet cruddy ones- my fletching is horrid) from it, and have never had a problem. I sometimes drill out the shaft so I can put a screw-type broadhead insert in, and the wood keeps the shaft from splitting(epoxy is the greatest thing on earth). Another trick is to wrap the cane part you want to drill tightly with ducttape or some thin string, being careful not to crush it. Hm.... Me no like osage.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 05:17:11 pm »
Here they are all finished up.  One of these was a light piece of cane and I used it just for test fitting things and seeing how they worked.  The other three, are with in 40 grains of one another.  I think that is as close as I can get them with out trying harder...lol.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 05:19:27 pm »
Squirrellslinger you are knowledgeable beyond your years my friend.  So why don't you impress us  (me) with some pictures of all this work that you do?

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »
those look nice Charles.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 06:06:58 pm »
Thanks Steve