Author Topic: Best Quiver for Hunting? (Made one, Pics added)  (Read 29000 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Best Quiver for Hunting? (Made one, Pics added)
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:51:25 pm »
What kind of quiver do you use for hunting? Back quiver, hip quiver, etc. Are there any specific features or characteristics that you like about your favourite hunting quiver?

I'm looking into buying one and I'd like to know what I should be keeping an eye out for.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:15:35 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Best Quiver for Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 01:22:25 pm »
I don't like bow quivers on selfbows, I don't like back quivers although they look cool. I prefer either a side stalker style or a GFA style quiver. I personally use the GFA style for hunting becfause it holds the arrows securely and keeps them quiet. I made mine by taking apart a Selway bow quiver and attacking the hood and arrow gripper to a short piece of wood and added a shoulder strap. I use a Side Stalker style I made for target and 3D shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:02:12 pm »
I don't know....  I have tried all kinds and none are really perfect to me, but I used a quiver I made from bamboo last deer season.  I wore it like a back quiver and found it comfortable.  I hunt from ground blinds and tree stands and always take it off and hang it nearby out of my way when I hunt, so what I like may not fit your brand of hunting. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:13:36 pm »
Maybe I should be more specific... Which do you think would be more appropriate to a mixed ambush and spot & stalk style hunter?

I really don't have any experience with quivers at all. The only thing I've ever used was a pvc pipe with a plug in it and a measuring tape belt clip.

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:10:31 pm »
The G Fred Asbell style described by Pat is the best hunting quiver hands down by far. Actually mine was made for me by Pat and is one of my most prized posessions. For stump shooting/ target practice I like a back quiver.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline DGF

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:07:41 am »
I like my Safari Tuff side quivers for spot and stalk or tree stand hunting when the stand is allready placed in the tree. I've never been good at pulling arrows from a back quiver, and the Safari Tuff quivers allow me to see what head I'm grabbing with minimal movment removing the arrow. There are a few brands out now that have the same style of arrow removal and I'm sure there are plenty off good ones. 4estTrekker(sp?) has built some real nice ones of this style with leather to keep it a bit more primitive.

I like bow quivers when I am packing in and treestand hunting because I can carry my stand on my back and take it off the bow when in the tree. I use a Big Jim quiver on my glass recurves and have been happy with how easily they come off and re-attach while on stand.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:33:28 am »
I used a plains style quiver last year and most prefer these as far as "primitive" quivers go. I can see why. They are comforatble, easy to take arrows from, and you can pull it close to your chest with your draw hand if you are going through dense brush.
However, I've never one to leave 'good enough' along so soon I'm going to make a Safari Tuff style side quiver. Everyone who has one that I've seen loves theirs and I like the look of them and the way the arrows are well protected.

I also have a bow quiver I got for $9 from Wal Mart that I plan on turning into an Asbel style quiver.

I guess you could say I'm still in an expierimental stage.  :-\
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:54 am »
I have used them all. My best advice is to use one that holds your arrows rock solid and quietly, no matter your style of hunting. I use a homemade side quiver, similar to GF quivers.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 12:18:47 pm »
For stumping and target I prefer my plains style quivers but for hunting I use Mark Bakers belt bracket with my 3 arrow Kwikee Kwiver.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 12:47:50 pm »
Strap on bow quiver for me while hunting,side or back,either on is fine for stumping or tournament shooting. May not look as cool but more efficient for me.JMO. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 01:11:10 pm »
Pappy, X2

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 01:27:48 pm »
So it seems that very few of you are using a hip quiver. Do they bounce around off you leg too much?

General consensus from here and some other reading I've done seems to be that side quiver's are the most popular for hunting purposes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50:18 pm »
For me hip quivers never stop hanging up on brush and grass all the while making noise. I find I have one hand on the quiver the whole time, thats not good. I dont want to babysit my quiver.

Have a look at the Catquiver Mini's, VERY nice hunting quivers with zero noise. Easy to wear and get out of the way as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:54:14 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
Okay, thanks for the input guys. I now know what to look for. I've got my eye on a few different ones right now... some of them run quite pricey, but I'm willing to pay for good quality. I can't stand sub-par equipment.

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »
This thread is in need of PICS!!!!!!! Come on guys feed the monster that is needing another project to start like he needs another hole in the head
Matt
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:22:29 am by Scout76 »
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC