Author Topic: Best Quiver for Hunting? (Made one, Pics added)  (Read 28989 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: Best Quiver for Hunting?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »
3D shootin' - a back quiver, stump shootin' - pocket quiver full of blunts. For Hunting tho, I almost always wearing a Day pack, so After ALOT of trial & error, I settled on an Rancho Safari Hip Quiver. ROCK solid,quiet and I don't use the leg strap (cut it off) so NO movement walking or sneaking. It also has a d-ring sewn on the top of the cup, so You can hang it on a branch or twig in a tree and use it (d-ring) when You haul the bow up into the tree. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 04:38:19 pm »
I'm liking the look of this:

Notice the little strap that can keep a few arrows tied down for quietness. Workmanship looks superb, and I really really like the look of the back quivers. This picture was stolen from Bogg's Leather Goods ebay store, and he's got a bunch of other really nice quivers for sale, but I think this one is my favorite. 170 bucks, but you get what you pay for 99% of the time.

I just can't seem to bring myself to enjoy the look of any quiver that isn't leather. I don't know what my problem is... maybe I should talk to someone about it  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:47:22 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 08:07:56 pm »
That quiver LOOKS really nice, but I have my doubts as to how practical it would be in a hunting situation.  The leather seems a bit stiff for a back quiver, and those arrows would be rattling against each other every time you moved.  That's the main reason that I prefer a plains quiver.  That, and I don't have to make a big spectacle of myself to draw an arrow out.  I can see the appeal of side quivers, but I just prefer to have the quiver at my chest so I can grab it while crouching or sneaking through tight bush.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 10:16:23 am »
That quiver LOOKS really nice, but I have my doubts as to how practical it would be in a hunting situation.  The leather seems a bit stiff for a back quiver, and those arrows would be rattling against each other every time you moved.  That's the main reason that I prefer a plains quiver.  That, and I don't have to make a big spectacle of myself to draw an arrow out.  I can see the appeal of side quivers, but I just prefer to have the quiver at my chest so I can grab it while crouching or sneaking through tight bush.

Definitely something to think about.... the search continues.

Edit:
What do you guys think of this one?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:49:31 am by Slackbunny »

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 05:25:24 pm »
  I hunt from preperpaired sites gobbler or buck hunting. Stalking a mature bucks or gobblers you have 0 to none chance at pulling it off. So I've always carryed a back quive just remove it when I get to where I'm going.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PeteC

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 08:30:52 pm »
I've got back,side and bow quivers,but I always go to a back quiver for spot and stalk. I carry 2 arrows in my bow hand while stalking. It works for me. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 09:04:34 pm »
I made myself a back quiver years ago( :o Possibly decades) I hunt in very thick brush  and found out the first time I used it ,that it worked best if I lengthened the strap  and slung it under my arm to hold close as I struggled through the brush. Wasn't until a year or two ago that I learned about  Plains style quivers (haha) .It's been said many times, we aren't likely inventing anything new ,.......just rediscovering it. That boggs one looks great ,and def. worth the money. That's a lot of work in that one. I think it will still be noisy.  Hollow tube with arrows moving will always be noisy in a nice pre-dawn ,crisp fall morning ;). For what it's worth, here's my old (camo) and almost finished new Elk hide. Made  the new one long enough to cover most of the fletch .  If the arrow sticks out too far, it likes to grab the branches.  You're in NB aren't you?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:30:11 pm by lostarrow »

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 08:59:24 am »
  You're in NB aren't you?

Yep, Fredericton New Brunswick.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 10:54:31 am »
Lots of little balsams and thick under brush?

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:23 am »
You got that right. There's places you can hardly even walk through because the firs are so dense, their branches will literally push you back the way you came.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 02:59:23 pm »

You got that right. There's places you can hardly even walk through because the firs are so dense, their branches will literally push you back the way you came.
Which is why I recommend soomething that you can tuck close to your body. When you duck down in that stuff ,or push your way through , anything sticking up (back quiver) grabs and stops you .If the  back quiver is low enough not to do that , you won't be able to reach back and grab an arrow.(espescially with heavier clothes on) Do you bunny hunt in the winter? Snow shoes or cottontails? Those little balsams are good for dumping snow in the top of a  back quiver as well . They(balsam) do smell nice when you wrestle your way through though,and help to fend off the bitter wind.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 12:02:54 am »
Good point. As much as I like the look of the back quivers they might not be the answer for my woods.

I think I now have a clear idea of what I want which is exactly why I started this thread. I think I'm settled on some sort of plains sling quiver.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:06 am »
Make your own! Try a prototype,then refine it to suit your exact situation. WoodbenderDW came over a few weeks ago with a real nice one he made for himself.No prior experience with leather or stitching and he did a great job!Your first won't be your last. It's like the bows.There's always something you would do different on the next ;)

Offline Tarponnut

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:16 am »
A lot of my clients use the GFA quiver or something homemade of that style. I tried a bow quiver on my Gill selfbow for awhile, that didn't work well. I've since gone to a back quiver but I'm thinking about modifying an old Bear bow quiver into a GFA style.
They hold the arrows very securely.

FAW

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 11:41:30 am »
Slackbunny. I am an aged and gauged bowhunter/shooter and I have literally bought and sold every conceivable arrow carrying device out there. When it all tallies up from my experience, I use a side quiver ( like tournament archers) for fun  3D shoots, plinking, etc. when I am mostly on trails and not in any danger of bushwacking. However, when hunting I gravitate to the Catquiver or centre back. I usually stick to a model 11 or 111 to carry the bare essentials as well for a day of hunting, however, remember when I said the words "bought and sold", well, Yep, I have sold one or two of these guys as well trying out some other new method. For me I still stick to the Catquiver which will carry a couple of arrows with judos, some broadhead arrows and a couple of flu-flu fletched blunt tipped arrows just for fun. I would love to use the back quiver, however, for me, it just didn't work out - too hot, too heavy and noisy and hung up on everything and arrows fell out when I bent over.