Author Topic: Best Quiver for Hunting? (Made one, Pics added)  (Read 29032 times)

Offline lostarrow

Re: Best Quiver for Hunting?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 02:57:22 pm »
 That would be my concern with a gfa as well.  I've lost more than one arrow in the thick stuff ,with a bow mounted ,(during my compound days) . With the arrows exposed  ,you're asking for them to reach out and grab brush.  If you get a chance , take a pic or two of the Balsam bush we're talking about. I'm not sure that everyone understands ;). I'd take a few but I moved down south and won't be back up North untill summer. Pushed my way through a bunch last fall though,and found this.  They don't seem to have any problem running through!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:01:32 pm by lostarrow »

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:30 pm »
Okay, I've got some plans running around in my head. I think I'm going to make one. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. 

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 01:40:35 am »
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist! :D If you were the type to just go out and buy one, you wouldn't be on this site! Giv'er!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »
But man I really don't need ANOTHER project  :o. I've already got 3 bows, a crossbow, and a wine rack on the go. Might be midsummer before I get around to it.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 07:15:05 pm »
Well, I went to a store to buy some leather, but the thing is they wanted almost fifty bucks for the amount I wanted in the quality I wanted. I can not justify spending 50 bucks just on raw material if I can buy an expertly crafted brand new one for just a little over double that. So my build plans changed to using what scraps I had lying around. But I didn't have much for scraps either so I had to cannibalize a bracer that I made a while ago that I wasn't quite happy with.

Didn't have enough for a plains or back quiver, so I had to go with a minimalist hip quiver design. I used rivets for everything because I like the look better, I hate stitching and I didn't want broadheads cutting the threads. The rods connecting the pouch with the beltpiece were two bulky old arrows that I made back in my early days and wouldn't be caught dead shooting now. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with how comfortable and functional it is. I can move quite freely without it encumbering me at all, and the flexible leather lets me bend it around and hold it up away from obstacles without having to fight it. It might not do me much good in dense woods, but it will get me through target shooting this summer and some trail hunting. At least I'm not lugging arrows around in my back pocket or my mouth anymore   ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Best Quiver for Hunting? (Made one, Pics added)
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:43 am »
I like cat quivers the best.Very little motion to get an arrow out.They are'nt that hard to make.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 09:47:31 am »
I agree, make your own.  I made a "side stalker" a few years ago....I first made a prototype out of poster board and then made one out of leather.  It's nice in the fact you can customize it in any way that you wish!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 06:40:54 pm »
Well, I took it out stump shooting with the dogs the other day while looking for some HHB. I was in and out of the woods, some of it quite thick, and I must say I was really happy with how this little quiver performed in the field. Its quiet and it didn't get caught up nearly as much as I expected. In fact I got the bow caught up more than the quiver. I'll have it out more this summer and if I stay as happy with it as I was this weekend then I won't even bother taking the time to make another.

I just added a squirrel fur liner to the pouch today. The pic is below. You can still see his whiskers :laugh: I don't know whether to cut them off or leave them.

Once again thanks for the wisdom guys.