Author Topic: Is there a synthetic alternative to horn for horn bow? PVC???  (Read 23127 times)

Offline rapaport

I have been checking out these pvc bows and im surprised by the performance and elaticity and springiness of pvc. Is it possible to use pvc for the belly of a horn bow? Instead of sinew, wood core and horn. It would be sinew,  wood core and pvc?? If it will work what kind of glue would hold pvc to wood?? If not pvc how about black plastic pipe found in the hardware store in the same isle as pvc pipe???? Very curious if its been done or if its possible?

Offline Joec123able

Re: Is there a synthetic alternative to horn for horn bow? PVC???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:51:13 am »
It would be a lot easier if you jus made the whole bow from PVC
I like osage

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:59:25 am »
You need to go to a more engineered synthetic designed for high stress. Various types of phenolic with a linen or paper base are used successfully.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:46:38 am »
James Parker(Robustus) made a bamboo backed, toasted boo belly "hornbow" that is incredable. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 04:56:13 am »
Pat, any chance of a link on that?

My first thought to answer your question was... Yeah, carbon fiber, used all the time. I understand you wanting to play around with new ideas, and thats fine. But ( you knew there was a but in this ) why go through the hassle of using sinew and wood ( very difficult to do ) on something that is... well, not sure how to say it really. Folks use sinew and wood to avoid using modern materials is all. So if you wanna go with modern, go all the way. Try something new. PVC belly, with balsa core, and a matrix of old blue jeans soaked in resin for the backing. I wonder about using a matrix of bamboo leaves that have been retterd into fibers as a backing soaked in glue... That would be neat.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:02:01 am »
You need to go to a more engineered synthetic designed for high stress. Various types of phenolic with a linen or paper base are used successfully.
+1

but pvc.....NO

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:47:48 am »
PVC....no.
That black plastic pipe near the PVC is probably high-density polyethylene, or HDPE. It is probably better than PVC but still a very bad choice.

You need a more sophisticated plastic such as carbon fiber or f!b€rgl@$$. But why not stick to true naturals such as horn and sinew or bamboo and bamboo?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:52:06 am »
Bamboo is natures carbon fiber... especially when you heat treat the snot out of it....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:36 am »
Use Bamboo. it is very good in compression as well as tension. I have many, many short bows made from bamboo belly cable back. they all shoot good for their poundage(like 20 pounds). They are recurved:)
Use good, thick bamboo. Its pretty tough stuff.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:27:28 am »
I.M.O. that's fiberglass.
1’—>1’

Offline darwin

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:50:30 am »
Yeah if your looking for a non-natural replacement for horn then Fiberglass is the obvious choice that is why its so widely used, but of course if you did that then it would only resemble a horn bow in design

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:06 pm »
The popular horn bow makers are making fiberglass bows with wood syahs and then wrapping the limbs in leather.  I know the horn is hard to find or expensive.... use fiberglass.  It comes in black.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »
I don't see how you are going to flatten PVC pipe or get it to form to the belly. What's wrong with using horn?
Gordon

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 04:19:11 pm »
It would be much easier to just make a pure PVC bow. Haters are gonna hate, but if you are curious check out the Backyard bowyers YouTube channel. He has made PVC bows that easily rival the best self bows (170FPS with a 50 pound bow).

Jon

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »
I've been making alot of pvc bows( I know curse me),like 15 in the last month...They are easy to make, start to shooting in about an hour and really great speed and performance...I love my wood bows but these are great for beginners or people who don't take good care of bows....This stuff is amazing...my latest bow , a recurve,pulls 60#@27 and is 50 tip to tip and shoots a 590 gr arrow in the high 180"s...
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania