Author Topic: Is there a synthetic alternative to horn for horn bow? PVC???  (Read 23128 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Is there a synthetic alternative to horn for horn bow? PVC???
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »
I wanna see the chrono on that...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline rapaport

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 01:10:26 am »
Well it looks like no one has tried this. I was Just curiuos if someone just tried thinking outside the box to see if they might have come up with a great combo of materials with pvc.  Considering new technology with new materials r always being created and out performing. Thanks for the expert opinions u guys r great.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 03:22:00 am »
Ok, I just finished doing a search on PVC pipe bows. I had no idea such a thing existed. There is a whole sub-culture dedicated to this style of bows. Not exactly my cup of tea, but interesting none the less.
Gordon

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 04:39:22 am »
Hey, rapaport, dont let the replies here mislead you... we are all telling you what we would or wouldnt do. Not what YOU should or shouldnt do... Either way, We will all wanna see whatever it is you make.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline dbb

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 08:08:54 am »
There is a ton of vids on making and shooting pvc bows on youtube.
Some even look good  :o
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 10:03:32 am »
Back to your original question, I think PVC would suck as a lamination.  Bamboo will likely provide everything you need.  In asian cultures, only the super rich ever had horn bows.  they were a pain to brace, and needed comstant fiddling.  Most of the foot soldiers had a wood/bamboo composite.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:51 am »
Before proper fiberglass bellies were available plastic actually was a fairly common belly lamination. Nels Grumley used plastic salvaged from old refrigerators. I'm not sure what types of glue were available then for that type of bonding. Plastics are notoriously difficult to glue.
 "Plastic" is a pretty broad term though.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 04:37:21 pm »
I've shot a couple of the PVC horse and recurve bows. Are they traditional in the most strict sense? Hellz no. Are they easy to make, good for a beginner, and awesome if you're lacking wood or other materials to make a truly traditional bow? You bet. The ones I shot were all between 50" and 60" long, using POC arrows with field tips. We didn't have a chrono, but I was nailing targets 30 yards out with no issues whatsoever with 40# and 45# bows.
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 05:23:04 pm »
Pvc pipe and fitting are fussed with primer and glue in a chemical reaction.I think your only chance to glue pvc to wood ,would be some kind of JB weld or epoxy.the black pipe you spoke of is probally ABS,it to is fused through a chemical reaction and is for plumbing,not for all natural material bow building.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 09:10:44 pm »
the pvc bows I've seen shoot really slow compared to a good wood bow.

Horn isn't that expensive.  $30 a pair.  Not much more than fiberglass these days.  I have one of James Parker's bamboo turk bows that is a horse bow style bow but with bamboo belly and it is a great bow but not an easy one to pull off for a bowyer.  He worked at the design for a long time before he got it right.

I was re reading Dr Grayson's chapter on composite bows the other day while traveling.  He stated that horn can handle 4000 lb per inch compression and that Turkish bows generate about 2500 lb per inch when drawn. You aren't going to find that ability with any man made material.

You can use modern glues with horn.  Urac 185 or unibond works well.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 09:48:03 pm »
If ya heat the pipe up till its a limp noodle and flatten it out and taper the tips..Pvc makes a fast shooting bow
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 09:51:26 pm »
I.M.O. that's fiberglass.
Bamboo IS nature's fiberglass, even looks like it when you split it:)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:11 pm »
I.M.O. that's fiberglass.
Bamboo IS nature's fiberglass, even looks like it when you split it:)

It also hurts just as much when you run your un-gloved hand across a rough portion of it.  :o
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 12:03:13 am »
It also hurts just as much when you run your un-gloved hand across a rough portion of it.  :o
Very. It will also cut you open if you are not careful when you split it! the edges are SHARP
I have some scars to prove it...
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline rapaport

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 02:32:08 am »
Thanks guys, i guess the plastic or pvc would have a difficult time glueing. It would be an interesting expierment. I just picture horn kinda like plastic.  but now i see just because it might look like black plastic its function is totally different.