Author Topic: Heavy Hitters Part Two(video added)  (Read 5419 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Heavy Hitters Part Two(video added)
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:02 am »
Here is the other dozen I am working on right now of my heavy hitting hog arrows. I changed these a little for the original 4 to get a little more weight and a lighter spine. I have six mounted with heads right now, but have to wait on some more inserts to do the rest. I will get the nocks cut in and then sealed good (will gain a few more grains) and then fletched. These will come in over or close to 800 grains.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:16:05 pm by stringstretcher »

Offline stringstretcher

Re: Heavy Hitters Part Two
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:53 am »
And the high to low proof

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:16 am »
DANG! nice work! i bet that that hog is dead! if you can hit it  :laugh: ::) ;D :D ;) :)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:44:44 am »
Charlie, are those Ace heads and what weight? I like the looks of them.>>>Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:51:20 am »
Yes Fred these are some Ace that I someone gave me a while back in a trade and they weigh in the 170's before sharpening.  Not sure how much I will lose there, but some for sure. 

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »
are you sure? those look exactly like some tusker heads i put on some of my heavy hitters!

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:30:49 pm »
Sorry Fred, they are the Tusker Delta's I believe.  I have my names crossed in some of these trades I have made.  Thanks rkeltner for keeping me straight..... :o

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:02:34 pm »
They still look good!! Are those the delta's? I've used and still have the 190gr concordes both single and double bevel. I like the shape of that head. I'll look for some. I know that Tim at Braveheart used to carry the line. The concordes are longer and possibly narrower. Close to the 3:1 ratio. I used to use them back in my FG/Carbon days. First ones I purchased were from Australia. I will say the newer version is better. They are coated and don't rust as bad as the originals. Also the experience I've had with them I prefer the double bevel.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:45:21 pm »
Those are some wicked looking arrows. I'd hate to be any hog within a hundred kilometers of those!

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:49:20 pm »
Thanks guys.  These have been fun to play with.  And just to throw something out there, these bamboo raw shafts are spined at 110 lbs....lol.  So much fun to play with.  And Fred, I too am liking these heads.  I am going to look into something like these, but narrower, for deer.

Offline vyadha

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »
Excellent! If you havent tried/seen the Tuffhead line, you should check them out. 190gr, 225gr and 300gr. Pricey but brutal and tough.
I really like your arrowsmithing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 08:56:07 pm »
Nice work Charlie. Your mentor had better watch out. You are definately knocking on his back door.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09:44 am »
Make that plural Pat, Mentor's ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline Lee Vivian

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:51:36 am »
Hey, Charlie.....great looking arrows.....if you forgot my mailing address I can send it to you again!  LOL >:D ;) :o :P

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:25 am »
Well I got 10 out of the dozen that I was working on because two of them just do not want to become arrows.  I now have all the nocks cut in, the sinew wrapped at the nock and the points, and will now do the shrink tubing and put a finish on these and fletch them up.  I will get some pictures up when they are finished.