Author Topic: Heavy Hitters Part Two(video added)  (Read 5400 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Heavy Hitters Part Two
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »
Here is the result of taking the time and making these cane work. The proof is always in the spin. This is the worst spinning arrow of the ten that I am now making. Hard to believe a piece of grass can become this. Enjoy

http://youtu.be/0-lBvaRE-OQ

It took me awhile to get the spin going because I was holding the camera with one hand and trying to film it while spinning with the other....phew....lol.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 05:13:22 pm »
Here are the ten I have been working on.  If you notice the weights, on the first 6 with the heads that Matt G sent me, they came in at 46 grains from a high to low.

And the other 4 with different heads and excluding one light one, came in at 37 grains from a high to low

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 05:15:10 pm »
Here is all ten waiting to get a finish put on and fletched. That will give me about another 20 to 30 grains probably.

Offline PeteC

Re: Heavy Hitters Part Two(video added)
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 03:41:14 pm »
Those look real good Charlie.Nice work. A question though; Is it just the picture,or is that shrink tubing a little larger than the base of your broadheads?(On some of them).    If they are, you might want to fix that.You dont want anything hanging up .It will seriously inhibit your penetration advantage that the weight will gain,which, you will definitely need on those hogs. JMHO God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:48 pm »
There are a couple there that are Pete, yes.  And they have been fixed.  Great eyes ;) ;) ;)

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 11:53:59 am »
 Just thought I would share for those interested. I took these and did a FOC calculation on them this morning and they are running 23.9130434783 FOC. That is more than I wanted, so I will play with the point/insert/adapter weights not to get what I want.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 11:46:01 pm »
Just thought I would share for those interested. I took these and did a FOC calculation on them this morning and they are running 23.9130434783 FOC. That is more than I wanted, so I will play with the point/insert/adapter weights not to get what I want.
I thought a high foc is a good thing? What is the formula you are going by? I am in process of making some arrows for my 64 lb hickory self bow and am planning on finished weight of around 630 grains. (the bow hasen't been shot much they usually lose about two lbs in my experience after shooting a bit) I was going to outfit the shafts with 160 gr points. I am using red osier as it is a bit heaver then cedar.
Thanks,
Greg

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 08:08:54 am »
High FOC is a great thing, to a point.  when you get this much weight up front it makes it really hard for a light poundage bow to get the use of the FOC.  The arrow can only take what the bow can give it, and on these, they would be better from a bow in the 55-65 lb range.  I bare shafted these yesterday after shooting them the other day, and they are all still stiff.  I am going to add another 100 grains up front and just test them, but I think that is going to be pushing it just too far, so these will more than likely go to someone later that shoots a higher poundage and get the benefit of them.

The point of this whole experiment was to see if I could get a really high FOC....AND  YES YOU CAN...lol

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 09:25:59 am »
Got ya. Hey if they doen't fly well outta your bow I have a 64 lb bow that they would fly great out of >:D and if they are a little stiff I will tiller my next stave out to 70. LOL!

Offline Roy

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »
What's the high tech rubber for ole boy? :)

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 08:31:55 pm »
Actually Roy that is shrink wrap.  I took and put some of that over the real sinew just for added protection and keep moisture off of it.  Sort of a red neck version of footing.....lol

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:34 pm »
17 yard fletched and bare shaft shots after one warm up round.

Offline Roy

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »
That's pretty nice, Charlie...

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:55 pm »
Thanks Roy.  I am very pleased with how they came out.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:29 pm »
Looked great when you first started experimenting with them, looks even better now.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018