Author Topic: Whats in your quiver?  (Read 6108 times)

Offline RabidApache

Re: Whats in your quiver?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »
For an Arizona deer hunt......I carry a 6 arra hip quiver in it are, 4 BH's and 3 judo tipped (one is piggy backed). 2 extra BH's duct taped under foam pad.
In my ROCKY MTN fanny pack an extra string, knife, multi-tool, bow wax, stick of hot melt, a lighter, some arti sinew string, extra-finger tab, Zip ties, 2.5 qts water or more depending on hunt season, a small mill file, DMT knife sharpener, GERBER ex-change blade saw, tiny tube of super glue, 10ft of para-cord. Thats just whats in the pockets of the fanny pack! In the main compartment a fleece pullover, 10X binos and sometimes 15X bino with a tripod. Upper compartment camera and lunch. Lunch usually consists of a hand full of elk jerky strips and a couple sticks of pepperjack cheese packs and a PBJ bagel ;).
My outings usually requires at least 5-6 miles of walking/hiking and long hours glassing over open terrain.I know I'm missing couple of more items. 8)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:08:41 pm by RabidApache »
Forever making arrows!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 05:28:40 pm »
3 arrows.  I have been hunting with a bow for almost 35 years and have never needed more than two arrows and the only time I needed two was for a grey squirrel....tough little guys.  I travel pretty light and keep it simple.  All grownups should have a knife and a lighter in their pocket. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:36 pm »
Whats the lighter for Howard? Or should I call you Howard Chong........?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 05:42:18 pm »
 ;) fire
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 06:57:22 pm »
4 or 5 broadheads and one field point, everything else goes in my pack, if any of you saw dual survival in the Klamath that's the kind of terrain I have to hunt most of the time, got to bring extra stuff incase you fall and break a couple arrows or something
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »
I hear you bubby.  I am always within cell phone service (which kinda sucks) and never more than an hours walk from the camphouse, so it isn't a big deal to travel light.  The greatest challenge with Alabama bow season weather is not getting bug bit or sun burned!  In that kind of topography I would go ahead and ruck up too. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 09:11:49 pm »
The greatest challenge with Alabama bow season weather is not getting bug bit or sun burned! 

Kinda like suntanning in North Dakota...it's walking a fine line between sunburn and freezerburn.

I tend to just carry a few arrows in my quiver, it's the stuff in the backpack that starts to resemble the Beverly Hillbillies loading loading up the truck and heading to California.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:27 pm »
The greatest challenge with Alabama bow season weather is not getting bug bit or sun burned! 

Kinda like suntanning in North Dakota...it's walking a fine line between sunburn and freezerburn.

I tend to just carry a few arrows in my quiver, it's the stuff in the backpack that starts to resemble the Beverly Hillbillies loading loading up the truck and heading to California.
Frostbite?  you mean Ice Tan  8)

I still need to build something to go in my quiver.  Odds are I'm going to cheap out and tie up some trade points to tomato stakes or homebrew dowels, and have a nutter on hand in case I come across squiggles.  Other than that, my belt knife, a buck folder, and a pocketful of smokehouse almonds.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 11:08:11 am »
3 hunting heads and a judo,like was said always got a knife/lighter and pistol in my pocket anyway.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
the kind of terrain I have to hunt most of the time, got to bring extra stuff incase you fall and break a couple arrows or something

I hear ya. The terrain I hunt is usually miles from the truck or trail.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 05:16:45 pm »
My quiver usually has 4 stone tipped cane, bamboo or dogwood arrows with self nocks and eastern woodland two feather fletch. A dogwood blunt or two similar to my hunting arrows and probably some leaves and grass, maybe a few twigs. ;)  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 05:23:28 pm »
My quiver usually has 4 stone tipped cane, bamboo or dogwood arrows with self nocks and eastern woodland two feather fletch. A dogwood blunt or two similar to my hunting arrows and probably some leaves and grass, maybe a few twigs. ;)  Josh

If you were hunting any more au natural you'd be wearing mocs and a bunny fur banana hammock.  And please feel free to do so, if so inclined.  Here is where I will finally draw the line and NOT ask for you to post pics.  Some things CANNOT be unseen. 

I wish it were legal to hunt with stone points here.  I'm mighty jealous of you on that point, Josh. 

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 05:28:51 pm »
"Bunny fur banana hammock"

That is one distuuuurbing mental image right there.

CR
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 05:29:37 pm »
I kinda regret typing it, some things can't be unread, too.

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 05:33:12 pm »
 ;D ;D

Still dang funny!!!!
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"