Author Topic: a shaft press for tricky shoots  (Read 2794 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: a shaft press for tricky shoots
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 10:23:39 am »
Good idea richardzane.I imagine you can feel the shaft bend good when you apply pressure to know when to quit and watching the ends of the shaft to see if they are in line and even.Like said earlier to get those kinks out is a bearcat once in a while.When I bend by hand I like to look down the shaft as I straighten it to know when I've got it right.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 11:56:05 pm »
thanks everyone,
I've been stealing ideas from PA for quite a while now! :)
maybe posting ideas can be an attempted pay back? like payback for rent due?   ;)
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 12:00:54 am »
Beadman,
yep ,once you get some of the kinks out of a shoot, its much easier to use the wrench and sight down the shaft.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 10:51:00 am »
  I made one about 10 years ago different but same principle. But I make mine with a hole up through the middle for my heat gun. Good for short bad kinks. But I eliminated that problem. I only cut good shoots now. I found out I didn't need it then. Matter a fact I traded mine off a couple years back. He right after using you hands for years it's easy to over bend with all the extra leverage.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline ncpat

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 11:22:51 pm »
Looking at this again, I could also picture something like that being used centuries ago by an armorer of the day. May have been, who knows? Good traditional appeal.
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline ga6693

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 09:55:37 pm »
Great looking press. I have been using one based on the same principle for some time now to straighten the joints of river cane. Works great. But yours looks much better.

Offline PebblePlacement

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 04:47:22 pm »
Great idea!