Author Topic: Is there a limit to how much heat a bow can take?  (Read 4452 times)

Offline WillS

Re: Is there a limit to how much heat a bow can take?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 06:32:32 am »
Thanks guys for all the tips! I may have to leave it then as I hadn't taken into account any springback more heat would cause. 

Sadly, the stave has one beautifully straight limb which didn't need touching, then dead in the middle of the handle area it developed 45 degrees of twist, 5 inches of deflex, and a long s-bend that took forever to heat out! I'd love to remove the deflex as 5 inches BEFORE it sees any tillering is just nasty but if removing it means meeting the twist and lateral bends again I might just go a bit crazy!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 08:57:33 am »
Sounds like a mate to the yew bow I just finished. It fought me tooth and nail and still isnt dead aligned like I like them, but it shoots great. I used all the aformentioned methods, when it boiled down the best method for my situation was a splash of cooking oil on the kink then dry heat from 8" away for 30 minutes, on a caul. Then I placed a wedge in the low spot and over bent it about 40%, most stayed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WillS

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 10:52:37 am »
Yep almost could be from the same tree by the sounds of it.

Although I love the look of perfectly clean, straight yew longbows (I'm not aversed to character bows by any means, but sometimes it's nice to have them straight!) it's kinda nice shooting a bow that just fought you the whole way.  Real sense of achievement once it's done, and the odd remaining kinks or twist always remind me of how bad it was.