Author Topic: suggestions on hing repair needed.  (Read 3131 times)

Offline 4giveme

suggestions on hing repair needed.
« on: March 30, 2013, 08:59:25 am »
Hi all,
I am new to bowyering, I have a been working and a bow that is 43" long, sinew backed made from a osage stave. this is my 1st bow and got a little careless with the rasp when i was shaping the stave.I remember reading somewhere that if you add flax or something like that to the belly it will help strengthen the limb and repair the hing.
Does anyone know how to do this with adding material to the belly, or another method besides weakening the other parts of the limb to match the hing.
Right now the bow pulls 39# @ 28". i really don't want to lighten the bow any more.
Thanks
4giveme
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: suggestions on hing repair needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:15:08 am »
Where is there a hinge?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:25:05 am »
I dont see a hinge either,just a bit soft out of the upper fade making the tiller uneven
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:28:44 am »
It is hinged like crazy about 5" above the hand, top limb. No way to fix this that I know of without turning your bow into a kiddie bow.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:56:51 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:49:26 am »
+1 Eric.  Hard to see with the bad quality pic and the angle.  Get another pic up, outside with the bow at at 90 degrees from the camera.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:07:44 am »
What I do know is that it under designed,over drawn, and stacking on you

I tell new guys not to put all the work into sinewing a bow until they can confidently and successfully hit there intended weight and draw without over stressing it during the tillering process. lesson learned for ya....you can add more sinew..but youd have to add it very evenly so you wouldnt have to retiller and lose what ya gained....but in all honesty id let this one be and chalk it up to the learning curve and go make another bow(no sinew),and just learn how to tiller first,and make the design fit the intended draw and weight(longer).....your not gonna be happy with your first,second,third,etc....it takes several or many more bows to be somewhat satisfied and happy with your results

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 10:33:47 am »
Thank you all for the input. I knew after reading this site for awhile the level of talent is very high in this forum. I will post my 2nd bow soon it should be tillered tonight. But I think I will put some finish touches on this bow then I will post the final bow in a few weeks.
I will also post number 3 that will be a self bow... Maybe ;)
Very good advice Blackhawks I did up sale the design on next one i am going for 48" osage 50#@28" center shot style.
Thanks again and happy Easter
4giveme
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 11:17:09 am »
Right at the bottom edge of the window in the upper limb? I've seen worse. LOL. I wonder where. Anyway, beef it up with extra sinew there. I don't use sinew so take my advice with a grain of salt. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »
I've fixed hinges by just putting sinew over the weak spot.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 02:59:00 pm »
That's your first bow ??! How the hell did you even manage 43 inchs long drawing that far back ?
I like osage

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »
Hi Joe,
Did a lot of reading and watched a lot of you tube videos lol. I feel like a teenager again I filled my brain with knowledge and now I have to gain experience by building.
Thank you for the complement. I plan on building as many as I can, and post them here to be put through the eyes of some very talented bowyers.
4giveme
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 03:41:20 pm »
Just wondering, how wide are the working limbs and how much set did it take?

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 03:58:23 pm »
Hi tac,
The working limb is 12" and it originally had 2" of deflex in the handle it now has 3 1/2" so it did take 1 1/2" of set.
4giveme
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 07:12:00 am »
What I do know is that it under designed,over drawn, and stacking on you
My thoughts exactly! Wayyy too short, wayyy too hingey.

43" NTN is far too short for the draw length you want. Also 48" (your second bow) is too short, even if sinew backed. Make it 54" if sinew backed, or 64" if not sinew backed.
What WIDTH are the limbs?
You are getting 3½" of string follow, which is a clear indicator the bow is under designed. A sinew backed bow should have reflex, in general. Did your bow not take any reflex while adding the sinew? How long did you leave the sinew back to dry?

Chalk it up as a learning experience and start a new bow, without sinew.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:16 am »
Thank you darksoul,
Good advice, I will keep it in mind, I am going to finish the bow anyway just for the expirance.
On to the 2nd bow I talked about-
The limbs on the 48" osage are 1 1/2.
The sinew on the this bow dried for thee weeks and was applied with titebond 3.
It was cut true center shot and Pulls 55#@28"
Took 1 to 1 1/2 set
And please keep the critical comments coming that's how one grows.
Thanks
4giveme
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.