Author Topic: Hogs in Western North Carolina?  (Read 11816 times)

whitesquirrel

Hogs in Western North Carolina?
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:01:52 pm »
Does anyone know of a good place to hunt wild boars or feral hogs on public land in western NC (Brevard area)?   I'm not a pay to hunt kind of guy.  There was a draw hunt in Dupont S.F. this year for bear and hog that was cancelled this year because it was a still hunt, most round here hunt with hounds.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hogs in Western North Carolina?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 03:03:16 pm »
I have heard there are areas of the National Forest that have hogs. You might check at the ranger station, on Hwy276 in the forest and see if they have suggestions. If you find any, let me know. I might want to tag along if it is OK with you. I live in Brevard.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:28:57 pm »
I'm over the mountain in Waynesville. There are quite a few boar on the Pisgah Nat. forest on the North end of Haywood County near the Smokies National Park. The Nantahala forest is full of boar, especially in Graham, Cherokee, Macon, and Swain counties. I've heard that there are a few feral hogs on North Mills River near Brevard. Not many places in WNC that don't have a few hogs (mostly fairly pure-strain Russian boars), but they're hard to hunt without dogs. They usually lay up in the rough steep thick stuff in the daytime and come out at night to feed..
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:57:58 pm »
 I know of a couple of spots on the SC side.  I got into hogs on Watson Heritage preserve, over by Pretty Place and Camp Greenville.  Also, there is a fairly new Archery only section of SC land, by Glassy Mountain, where I had a huge boar run by me chasing a sow.  I couldnt get a good broadside angle, so had to let him pass.  Now that I am in Colorado, I realize how much I miss chasing hogs!  Gotta plan a trip sometime this year.
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:31:47 am »
Titan, Those areas are about 10 miles from my house. I used to live in SC and before I left I got a lifetime hunting license.  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

whitesquirrel

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 09:11:02 pm »
I'll have to check those places out and find out about a SC licence.  Thanks for the info Pat Hillbilly and titan bow.

Pat- I called the ranger station on 276 near Brevard they were not very helpful, oh well, just have to keep trying.

Brent