Author Topic: How important is a fletching jig?  (Read 12561 times)

Eric Garza

How important is a fletching jig?
« on: November 03, 2007, 11:51:34 am »
I've been looking at getting a fletching jig.  I wonder if others who make primitive arrows would be willing to offer their opinions as to how important a jig is vs. gluing the feathers on by hand like I've been doing?

Looking forward to hearing from folks.

-Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How important is a fletching jig?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 11:59:08 am »
Eric, I'd say that a fletching jig isn't important with primitive arrows. Obviously, you have been geting along without one. A jig does make it quicker and easier to fletch arrows so the question is do you want to of have the money to spend on a jig?
   I do use a jig most of the time but it was given to me years ago and is probably at least as old as I am.  There are simple methods of tying feathers on with a few hand made items. Check out some of the older posts for pics of these simple methods.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 01:09:43 pm »
Honestly, I don't like jigs. I use them for 3 fletch arrows, but usually just tie fletchings on in either a southeastern two-fletch or tertiary (?) fletch. Just wrap the top and bottom with sinew or thread.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 01:42:05 pm »
                                         Like Pat said..........bob

jamie

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 01:56:01 pm »
real easy fletching jig
. piece of leather with a hole in it and three slits where the feathers sit. slide it down the shaft as you tie or wrap the fletcthing. then just slide it off when you are done

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:15:08 pm »
Jamie thats to simple, theres no way it could work :P. Actually thats a great idea..gonna try it, thanks.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 04:26:05 pm »
Yea, what Brian said. To easy, wont work.  ;) I have a fletching jig, but I think I will try that idea anyway.  It would sure make it easier to wrap.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Trapper

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 05:12:13 pm »
I know this isnt primitive, but its what I do. I just use superglue and glue my cock feather on first, then the others accordingly , and then trim and wrap. I can probably fletch faster than with a jig. I can do a doz. arrows in about one hour . which is plenty fast enough for me, The only thing I use is the fletching clip too work my feathers in, and I use a dremel tool too take the spine of the feather down with. I dont strip them , that makes them too flemsy for me.      Trapper

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 06:53:11 pm »
I have an article I wrote on hand fletching intended to go to PA, maybe I should finish it up and send it in.
Basically, I 'strip' the feathers and cut a small tail in either end to wrap. I first wrap the back, then spread glue on the inside of the feather, then wrap the fronts.
Hope this helps.
   Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 07:35:35 pm »
I have an article I wrote on hand fletching intended to go to PA, maybe I should finish it up and send it in.
Basically, I 'strip' the feathers and cut a small tail in either end to wrap. I first wrap the back, then spread glue on the inside of the feather, then wrap the fronts.
Hope this helps.
   Sean

You'd better, that sounds like an awsome article :)!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 07:26:21 pm »
All right then, I guess I will!  :)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 09:48:29 am »
Never used one. I do use a little leather or cardboard deal like Jamie's pic sometimes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.