Author Topic: "Flint knapping" Glass Arrow Heads.  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Caveman_Sam

"Flint knapping" Glass Arrow Heads.
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:40 am »
Hello all. This is about knapping glass, but I had a look at the 'cavemen only'  bit and that seemed to be about stone age items not associated with knapping and so I thought that this was the most appropriate place.

During one of my youtube sessions of self education I found this idea. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMN3BVISmQ

In the video the man is knapping glass from a beer bottle instead of flint.  I instantly wanted to try it as I realised that this was an excellent way for me to get into flint knapping as I woudn't have to waste flint on beginner mistakes.  i also could start to learn the craft straight away, rather than having to find some flint.  I can just keep my eye out and when I do find some then hopefully I wont waste it. 

Id love to give it a go, however I haven't got any of the antler tools needed to begin the work.  Ive had a rather fruitless search of the internet and I coudn't find any where selling antler knapping tools.  Because of our hunting laws I think they are very rare in my country (uk) 

If anyone could post me a link to somewhere selling antler knapping tools I would be most grateful.  As well as  any other advice you fine people are  willing to impart to a complete beginner, like does glass knap the same as flint?  How does the hardness and sharpness of knapped glass compare to flint?  What kind of target is suitable for a stone or glass arrowhead?

thanks for your time spent reading all that! :)

Sam

Offline Hunts with stone

Re: "Flint knapping" Glass Arrow Heads.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:17:56 am »
Welcome Sam. There are a lot of Variables in different stone. Glass can be a great way to learn. Colored glass will let you read the Surface better so you know how to attack your next moves. If you wish to knapp ABO you can search ebay for Antler, Hammerstones can be found almost anywhere. Soft sansstone to  hardstone depending on what you're using it for. Glass and obsidian takes a softer stone. However using abo tools will raise the bar on your learning curve And antler wears down and needs constant maintenance. I would suggest using copper as it's readily available. Do a web search for Knapping tools will bring you up many options. The hardware store will have all you need to from three-quarter inch copper caps which you Make a crowned dome on Again fashionist after copper boppers you observed on the web. Copper wire around 3/16 of an inch to quarter inch can be bought at the hardware store. Put a couple of feet of wire clamped in a vice and attach it to a drill Spinet fillet snaps off this will harden the copper and make it much better. Hammer or file to a point and you ready to Put in any type handle you can come up with and you're good to go. You will Need an abrading tool a lap and hand pad.And then I suggest safety glasses and Band-Aids. Watch all the YouTube you can to learn and understand the processes. Goog luck and keep us posted.