Author Topic: Hazelnut bow build-a-long (fixed pictures)  (Read 285659 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Hazelnut bow build-a-long
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2008, 08:55:38 pm »
I begin the lacing like I am tying a shoe. I thread the lace underneath and through the top two holes leaving the ends the same length.

Next make a cross stitch by threading each end through the holes on the opposite sides.

Then thread each end through the next hole on the same side.

Now make another cross-stitch and repeat for the length of the handle.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:53:40 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »
I cut the leftover tags back, tuck them under the leather handle and secure the works with a couple of drops of superglue.

I like to treat my finished handles with a leather lacquer finish. It helps the leather resist dirt and oil and the handle will look much better after hard use.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:54:01 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2008, 08:57:54 pm »
For the arrow rest I’ll use a piece of stick-on leather. I use a plate to help me make a nicely shaped rest.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:54:21 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2008, 08:59:19 pm »
The bow is finally done! Here are a few pictures of the completed bow.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:54:45 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2008, 09:01:19 pm »
I'll post more pictures including a a full-draw on the main forum in a day or two. Right now it's storming in the Pacific NW and I can't get decent light.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2008, 09:09:41 pm »
Thanks Gordon, I have to admit you build some of the most beautiful bows and your handle wraps are incredible.  It is buildalongs like this that really help primitive bow building grow.  Thanks again, Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

wvfknapper

« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2008, 09:14:57 pm »
Gordon

You the Man!!! Your attention to detail and craftmanship is outstanding.

wvflintknapper

Offline PeteC

« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2008, 09:40:59 pm »
Gordon,that was a super build along.I kept up with your progress,(with great anticipation) from the beginning to the end. God Bless, Pete C
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2008, 09:52:36 pm »
That is one beautiful bow Gordon!! Like the rest - this BA needs to be hardcopied for easy reference. Has been enjoyable!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2008, 10:23:46 pm »
FANTASTIC !!!
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Gordon

« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2008, 11:14:23 pm »
Justin, thank you for the compliment. I’m just happy that many folks found something useful in this build-a-long.

Wvflintknapper, I guess I do tend to be a bit obsessive about detail. I think that trait was passed on from my father who was a master cabinet builder. He tried to teach me woodworking skills, but I was never interested. But after he died I discovered wooden bows. I think he’d really get a kick out of this if he were still alive.

Pete, thank you. The build-a-long was a lot of work, but to be honest, I’m a little sad now that it’s done. I may have to do another when I become more familiar with some other bow designs and styles.

Cowboy, I’m glad that you find the bow pleasing. Interestingly enough, a number of my friends have asked if I would make them a hardcopy of this BA. May have to do that…

Manny, I’m always humbled when you compliment my work. You’re one of the best artists I’ve seen. Thank you.
Gordon

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2008, 11:47:18 pm »
Fantastic!

If I said more right now, I'd just taint the mood..... this finale deserves a moment of silence....
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2008, 01:07:37 am »
Thankyou Gordon, outstanding BA...any newbe should check this out...all you need to know to build a bow....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2008, 03:24:58 am »
Thank you BW. The process of documenting every step of the process makes you realize just how much goes into the making of a bow – it doesn’t seem that way when you are just doing it. It was a long build-a-long and I’m relieved the bow and I made it all the way. I think a moment of silence is in order.

Brian, you hit it right on the nail. I recalled how I struggled with even the simple things when I started. I doubt there is anything in this BA that would surprise the more experienced bowyers on this site. But if this BA demystifies the process for even a few newcomers I’ll feel that I have succeeded. I guess time will tell…
Gordon

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2008, 05:52:10 am »
Wow. thats all i can say, just wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. if i were in charge id put this as a chapter in the new traditional bowyers bible. like was said before so much valuable information here that every bowyer should have to reference to. The bow turned out beautiful! my hats off to you my friend. thank you.
Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.