Author Topic: Hazelnut bow build-a-long (fixed pictures)  (Read 282792 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Hazelnut bow build-a-long
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 06:06:54 pm »
What I find so unattainable, is you all seem to make the limbs so darn thick! How do you get them to bend like that with out damage or set?

bb,

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean thick limbs relative to a laminated glass bow?

Gordon
Gordon

Offline TRACY

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 08:29:36 pm »
Great build-a-long. That seems to be a somewhat straight stave for hazelnut. They don't grow very straight in my area, Indiana, kinda shrubby.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gordon

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 01:04:13 am »
It is time now to brace the bow for the first time. For me this is the most nerve wracking part of the process. The long-string hides many tillering flaws which are revealed when the bow is braced. A common problem is for one limb to appear stronger or a hinge that will suddenly reveal itself. Initially I keep the brace height low – no more than 4”. If I see a flaw I quickly unbrace the bow and fix it using the long string. Exercising a bow on a short string under these circumstances will often result in excessive set.

This time I’m lucky and the first brace reveals no major problems. Now it is just a matter of reducing weight and finessing the tiller.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:27:30 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 01:07:14 am »
But before I continue tillering, I check the string alignment. The string is off-center by a little more than ˝”. I like the string to track down the middle of the handle or just favoring the side of the arrow pass. Some bowyers advocate letting the string track well to the side of the arrow so that the bow is almost center-shot. I don’t recommend that because it tends to cause the bow to torque in the hand upon release – at least that is my experience.

I’m going to bend the handle area to move the tips into proper alignment. Sometimes I use steam and a press, but this time I’m going to use dry heat. I rub cooking oil on the belly side of the handle – this helps distribute the heat more evenly. Then I clamp the bow and fasten a weight on the limb that I want to move. I position a stop under the weight to prevent the handle from bending more than I need. I apply the heat evenly over a 4” area until the wood is too hot to touch, but just before it begins to brown. I then let it cool for about 2 hours.

I got lucky and nailed it the first time – the string is now tracking right down the center of the handle when braced.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:27:59 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 01:33:09 am »
Now that the string is tracking I remove wood on both limbs to reduce weight. I use long strokes with a scraper to ensure I’m taking wood off evenly. Between removal sessions I pull the bow on the tree about 30 times to exercise the wood. I’m essentially “training” the wood to bend further and further.

Following are pictures of the bow at rest and braced.

Here the bow is pulled to 21”. It’s bending nicely in the handle, inner and mid limbs, but is a little stiff yet in both outer limbs.

Next – narrowing the tips and adding tip overlays.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:28:31 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 10:08:19 am »
Gordon, This is excellent!!!  Thanks for posting for us.   The bow is gonna be beautiful. I love the profile.    Pat Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2007, 10:31:35 am »
Just read through the whole thing - as said before this is a great build along. Can't wait to get home.........
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2007, 11:15:42 am »
Gordon:  Great post.  Your pictures tell a thousand words and your narrative adds the emphasis. 

A newbie like me could almost us this as a 101.

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

CHUCKER

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2007, 11:36:16 am »
GREAT BUILD ALONG!!!! This would be a nice addition to the next printing of TAB#1. I can not thank you enough.

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 01:33:15 pm »
Thank you very much for this build-along.  I learn so much from you masters of the craft and I thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!! ;)
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline Gordon

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2007, 01:46:24 pm »
Thank you for the compliment Wulamoc, but I am hardly a master. I do, however, think I have the basics fairly worked out and wanted to give back to the community that has so helped me in my development. I'm pleased that folks find this information useful.
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2007, 06:42:46 pm »
Good stuff Gordon, thourghly enjoying your build along.
One question I couldn'y help noticing the Corona bottle ::) You don't actually drink that do you? ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2007, 06:57:10 pm »

One question I couldn'y help noticing the Corona bottle  You don't actually drink that do you?

That's funny Dana  ;D. Actually my wife drinks that stuff and I use the bottle for burnishing the backs of my bows. I prefer the local micro-brews. I heard the other day that Portland Oregon has more local breweries than any other city in the world - including Germany! No Corona will be touching this boy's lips :o
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2007, 08:48:39 pm »
Gordon, I just finished a BridgePort Brewing Co. IPA, brewed in Portland.  Yummmmmmm! 8)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 09:04:17 pm »
Speaking of brews - I'd have a couple if not for work in AM.... Gordon: on your tillering - do you have any tools that you use for that or just eyeball it all the way?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.