Author Topic: A question for those outside the states, or whoever wants to give input  (Read 5425 times)

Offline KShip85

I've been looking into shipping options for international shipments and have discovered that if I am going to make a shipment and not have my wife kill me because of the cost I will need to keep the finished package at 60" or less.  This either means I work on a shorter bow or make a takedown.  My question is would you rather have a takedown bow that was longer or a short bow that was made from a stave/laminate glue-up?  Thanks for the input all.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline bubby

t/d
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline twisted hickory

Td

Offline Squirrelslayer

If I had the choice it would be something like a sinew backed short bow made from just a stave. But I wouldn't mind having a takedown. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline vinemaplebows

That is not true...you can ask for a bow that has a splice, (splice already cut) ask the seller for the bow unglued, and glue it yourself.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline lostarrow

T/D

Offline Slackbunny

I would prefer a takedown.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
60" is enough for a well tillered bow. What wood are you talking about.
You could also splice the smaller pieces at the handle and get a longer bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

That is not true...you can ask for a bow that has a splice, (splice already cut) ask the seller for the bow unglued, and glue it yourself.

VMB

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, that sounds like it would be a bit tough to tiller.  Being two unattached halves and all.  Josh

Offline vinemaplebows

Maybe I am not understanding, but I was thinking he had a shipping size limit, and since the limit is 60" the only way to ship/or receive a bow from whatever country (England I think) is to ship that package 60" or less.....is that right? If so, the two 36 inch billets could be sent PRECUT then who ever is receiving the billets can glue them together ....now you have a 72 inch bow. :)

VMB

Offline lostarrow

I may have missread, but I think Kip is fishing for a response from his tradebow recipient. If someone was buying a bow ,they would be paying the shipping and his wife wouldn't have to kill him!(she wouldn't really do that would she ,Kip?)  So would everyone from the bow trade just give him a straight answer! ;) Not everything has to be a big debate! ::) That would be great if you were sending one to me. I 've been toying with the Idea of a takedown,or hinged bow for months.If you were to send one this way,I wouldn't have to go to the bother. ;D

Offline Josh B

What debate would that be?  I understood the question at hand to be about shipping a finished bow, and Brian was obviously under the impression that it was to be a blank or billets to be shipped.  No debate involved, just clarification.  Josh

Offline vinemaplebows

No debate here, could care less, was trying to solve a problem from what I read....like I said maybe I did not understand the original question sorry :)...I save debating for more important things. :laugh:

VMB

Offline Jodocus

No matter. I'd love a nice takedown, but 60' is enough for a fine bow as well.
Don't shoot!

Offline hedgeapple

No matter. I'd love a nice takedown, but 60' is enough for a fine bow as well.

At my 26" draw a slightly bendy handle 60 bow is nearly perfect. BUT a TD would be awesome.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw