Author Topic: Getting started?  (Read 6823 times)

Offline Bitterguy

Getting started?
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:26:10 pm »
I've just recently finished up my first bow and a couple of arrows with feild points and while they are good I have always had an interest in knapping. I watched some of allergichobhit's videos and was wondering how to get started in knapping. I don't have any knapping specific tools, just basic wood working tools. How should I go about getting/making knapping tools (preferably cheap if not free)? What sort of rocks should I look for and where, I live in Blair county PA bout 45 minutes away from state college, near a town called Altoona if that helps at all.
As always, thanks in advance
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Getting started?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:29:31 pm »
If you want to get started cheap use some antler tips or make some ishi sticks with your tools. Do a google on the subject and it should point you in the right direction. I don't know where to find decent flint/chert here in Pennsylvania. I live in the north west part. I did do a little looking and I think there might be some down in your neck of the woods, google that as well. There are some places on the web to purchase all the tools but it costs some. You can make some decent glass heads if you can use glass bottle bottoms or find some thick glass somewhere.
Greg

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:54:03 pm »
Something like this (add in the www) practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/ishistick.html
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:10 pm »
Yes, that would be a little big for arrow heads from what I understand but I think it would work. I use antler tines off of the deer antlers I have killed so I have not used an ishi stick but that is right along the lines of what you would want to build. Also a smaller bopper.
Greg

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:26 pm »
Any idea on how I could make one of those myself? Any other tools I would need to make?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:11:03 am »
Read down a few threads on knapping glass arrowheads  i put some info there on the subject.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 09:44:54 am »
Gooooooo abo or go home!!!! Lol just kidding but here are a couple of my tools.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 12:07:13 pm »
Here's my ABO tool kit.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 12:17:27 pm »
Unfortuntly I'm not much of a hunter so I have no access to bone/antlers
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 05:45:18 pm »
Everything you need is easy to make or find.Wood handles with copper pipe caps for boppers,copper ground wire (Bought by the foot at home improvement stores) set into wood handles for pressure flakers,rocks for hammerstones and abraders (Chunks of cinder block make great abraders) Antlers can be found (Shed antlers in the spring woods) or bought by running an add in the free "junk for sale" papers you get at the store, or, you see them at yard sales sometimes.Run an add on craigslist for antlers,people will call you.  You are only limited by your imagination.  It's out there !  Rock is good,glass is good, porcelain tiles and chunks of toilet tanks and covers are good. Plenty of materials out there.  Get to work ! And good knapping  '  Frank

Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 05:53:26 pm »
It will behoove you to wear a glove on your material holding hand to keep the cuts down and a guy can use almost anything to make a lap pad outa(I bought a thick piece of buffalo leather off ebay and had enough to make several for about 50 bucks) to put the work on and I think a 5 gallon bucket is as good a seat as a guy can find to sit on and a cheap tarp for the chips to fall on(I like a cotton cloth one)  good luck !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 10:06:49 pm »
Unfortuntly I'm not much of a hunter so I have no access to bone/antlers
Bitter.
A bopper is a 3/4 inch copper cap for copper pipeing. Just two part epoxy it on a stick and your all set. With the ishi stick all ya need is a wood file and some epoxy to get ya started. Sorry for the late reply I had clinicals for 12 hrs today.
Greg

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 05:52:38 pm »
I'm sure there is a butcher shop near you.  You can get large marrow bones for a decent price.  They just have to be "fresh", ie. frozen in order to work well.  It is my opinion that the old boys used hammer stones and bone flakers more than antler, simply because you can only get antler during a certain time of the year (if you want it good and strong).  Whereas, bone can be had year round.  Just my two cents.

I also wanted to say wood can also be used for percussion, just like antler.  Here's a thread on Paleoplanet about that http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/51097/WOOD#.UWR9Yle7f3M.  And hammer stones can be found anywhere.  I found two awesome soft hammer stones yesterday at a town park.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:04:41 pm by Mike_H »