Author Topic: Sinew  (Read 49628 times)

c persons

Sinew
« on: June 27, 2006, 01:26:23 am »
Hey first i have to say WOW this new server is really different. OK anyway i bought some deer sinew and was wondering how to use it

if anyone has anything to answer thanks ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 01:10:52 pm »
I just finished a sinew back Osage yesterday.I save all my back strap sinew and use it for tying on feathers and raps on bows where I have a problem.I clean it and pound it lightly and it worked great on the back of my bow.It went on nice and smooth and the length is nice to work with.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

c persons

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 08:18:45 pm »
what is backstrap sinew? and i'm buying this sinew in a store its deer sinew (i've heard its not the best but all i can get my hands on).
any other tips and hints are much appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 01:43:10 am »
Back strap sinew(silver skin) runs along either side of the backbone on a deer(and all animals). You probably bought leg sinews. Both work but being longer, the backstrap sinew is prefered for hafting points and tying down feathers.
   You will need to remove the casing from around the sinew, place it on a hard surface and pound it with a hammer until the fibers seperate. These fibers is what you'll want to glue down to the back of your bow. Hide glue, Knox gellatin or Tite-Bond glues will work for the glue.
   Maybe someone with more experience will chine in with more info for you.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 06:00:01 am »
The good thing about the back strap is it dosn't require much pounding it's not incased like leg sinew.I don't know if it is quite as the leg but it seems to woke fine and a lot less work.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:23:25 am »
backstraps work fine and are easier to prepare. leg tendons need quite a bit of work and arent as long but if we were doing this for ease we would all be shooting guns or compounds. i take the leg tendon and pound it with a round rock or heavy piece of wood. this will break up the casing and youll get 4 or 5 nice tendons from the main sinew bundle. take these and pound em again. each of these will also have a casing. beat them so the fibers loosen up . some will pound untill the fibers are all seperated. i do it long enough so i can pull the tendons apart in my hands. dont pull strips from the tendons this just creates more work. i just pull the tendons apart so i have what looks like a hair net made of fine string. i'll post a photo later.

jamie

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 12:19:28 pm »
heres a pic to give you an idea . not the best piece but itll show you what i mean.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 02:03:42 pm »
That wasn't very nice Jamie.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 02:32:44 pm »
what did i say?

c persons

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 09:14:48 pm »
well i don't know how to tell but if its really waxy does that mean its leg sinew not backstrap? and could somebody tell me some uses for sinew?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 09:27:32 pm by c persons »

jamie

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 05:55:27 am »
persons back strap is long and flat and leg bundles are anywhere from 4-10" long and pretty much a round bundle. sinew is fantastic stuff because if you wet it when it dries it will shrink. so it works great for tieing on points to shafts, feathers to shafts, sewing, backing bows, making strings, trap lines, dental floss ect ect ect.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 05:58:35 am »
It's probably leg sinew,you can use it for backing your bow,tying on feathers or making all kinds of repairs.Be sure and seal it good wherever you use it because it will reconstitute with moisture.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

c persons

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 12:02:28 pm »
seal it with what???

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 12:17:15 pm »
I use gun stock tru oil but there are a lot of different sealers as long as it will seal the moisture
out.If you are going to use it on the limbs make sure what ever you use is flexable.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

c persons

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 02:33:39 pm »
ok ty