Main Discussion Area > Bow of the Month Contest

Shannon Walker's Copperhead Bow is October Self Bow of the Month

(1/4) > >>

OldBow:
Congratulations to Shannon Walker of Mt. Hermon, Kentucky
His Attractive Copperhead Skin Covered Osage Recurve is
October Self Bow of the Month
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3828.0.htmlShannon wrote this about his bow:This is a little bow I made back in August.  I had this stave standing in the corner of my basement that looked bound for the Wood King but after picking it up and looking at it several times I thought, "What is there to loose?"
  So after several rounds with the heat gun I got it straight enough to work with. The stave was only 58" long so I left it deflexed a little at the fades and flipped the tips up a bit. It looks like it has a ton of string follow but it only took around an inch and a half of set during tillering. 
 It finished out 60# @ 28" of draw and measures 56" NTN. It has some good size knots and one hole almost completely through the lower limb that reminds me of a volcano. I put a couple road killed copperhead skins on the limbs and some beavertail on the grip.
   I really like the way this one shoots and as soon as it cools up, I intend to "Thump" a deer or two with it.
Here's some comments from PA bowyers:
"beautiful bow saw filer! tiller looks great. ive also been making my handles nice and round theyre comfortable. great job on that trickey stave," -whitewood
"I like how you salvaged a difficult piece of wood. Tiller and skin job are terrific." -Gordon
"Wow - that really turned out to be one really beautiful bow! great combination of materials & awesome job taming that stave!  Well done my friend!" -Milo

[attachment deleted by admin]

DanaM:
Congrats Shannon, super bow.

tradrick:
Another bow displaying true craftsmanship.The snakeskins are awesome.Congrats tradrick

Pat B:
Cool Shannon. 8) You can take a breath now! ;)  Congratulations.     Pat

AndrewS:
A really nice bow. Looks very good!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version