Author Topic: flax twine  (Read 8704 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
flax twine
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »
ok what do i need to do to turn flax twine into a bow string
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline NTD

Re: flax twine
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08:32 pm »
I'd check the breaking strength and then make it like you'd do any other string just adjust the amount of strands for the strength of your particular twine.
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:54:08 pm »
Raw flax is very strong!      Like Nate said...just like making any other string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline netman

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:34:32 pm »
Guys. I got some flax twine from HF and built 2 bow strings. They seem to keep stretching quite a lot. I have to twist them up often. Is this normal?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:56:47 pm »
Yep...that is normal....flax stretches quite a bit more than most materials..need to make the string and hang a weight from it to prestretch it
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 11:45:33 pm »
Yep...that is normal....flax stretches quite a bit more than most materials

El D. is this something to do with the way its made/spun? As I understand it linen, which is flax fibre, does not stretch to any great amount.

Craig.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:02:45 am »
Craig...all of the Linen String I have bought from Fabric Stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby ...has stretched....so I started buying it from a Blasting Company...and this Stuff will not Stretch at all...I get it from pyrosupplies.com...always in stock...fast shipping...a bit pricey....4 cents a yard...2460 foot...$37.00
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »
Hi El D.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I live a long way from the USA.

Craig.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:03:46 am »
Hi El D.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I live a long way from the USA.

Craig.

I just purchased a couple of skeins of linen thread to play with that were made in the Netherlands.  The thread is very fine and I could not break it with my hands without risking cutting myself.  I have no idea if it will make good bow strings which is my intent, but it will certainly be good for binding arrows if that does not work out.  I know that there are reenactment groups (Medieval to Colonial) in Oz, you might try to contact them and talk to the textile mavens within those groups.  That is what I did here, I went to both types of gatherings and purchased from the vendors (actually same vendor visiting both groups).  Worth a few emails or phone calls...

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 03:05:27 am »
Hi swamp,

Thanks for the info,

I have an address to get linen thread from a place in Ireland. I also have friends and relatives in other places throughout the world including the US who will send me stuff when asked, only problem is the cost postage to Oz virtually doubles the price of most things I import, then of course there are customs, import more than $1000 worth of goods in a year and you get hit for a minimum of 10%.

Craig.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 10:37:30 am »
I hear you.  I have friends in Oz and I get an earful every now and then about it.  The trick is to order enough that you can "share" and get some or all  of the extra cost back (depending on how much you like your friends  ;) ).  Works really well on light weight compactable stuff like linen, almost no extra shipping if you add a few extra.  Time to grow and spin your own I guess.

Cheers,

Swamp, who is looking forward to going back to Oz someday for a nice fishing holiday.
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:59:31 am »

then of course there are customs, import more than $1000 worth of goods in a year and you get hit for a minimum of 10%.

Craig.
Thats what the USA needs to do also....maybe then We could get this Country back to being a Supplier...instead of a Buyer of all Goods again....JMO

Always wanted to move to Australia....I have relatives there...but I would have to sell almost every Gun I own to do so...and that aint happening...

As for Shipping...I don't see where it is any more expensive to send it to Oz...than anywhere else...but I have noticed that now they have cut the size limits on Parcels...and it almost impossible to send a Bow by Mail...they are just too long anymore
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:27:18 am »
El D.

I love this country but we are becoming more and more of a nanny state.

The one thing I really envy you guys in the States for is the availability of all kinds of things at very reasonable prices, our tools generally cost twice what you pay even when the tool is made in other countries. I recently imported a number of attachments and bits for my Dremel from the states because of the cost here, take fior instance the router bits, over here in one of our larger chain stores each bit costs between $28 and $35, our dollar is worth 90 odd of your cents, in the states I got a set of 6 Dremel router bits for I believe it was $30 or $35, yes 6 for the price of 1, bought other bits and attachments had to overcome the $48 postage costs. Dremel by the way is owned by Bosch the German tool manufacturer.

Craig.