Author Topic: BBO 2nd osage  (Read 4751 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
BBO 2nd osage
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:26:23 pm »
  I'm hoping to build this as a hunting bow. Shooting for 45# @ 27"  I got it roughed out today. 56" end 2 end.  Will be 54" n2n   Right now it's 1 3/8" at the fades. 1/2" at the tips. Boo backing and walnut handle. As I get to work on it I'll post more pics till it is finished. Outcome good or bad, it's gonna happen ;)
 Besides tillering, that knot is the thing that worries me. It's quarter sawn if that makes a diff?

I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

HatchA

Re: BBO 2nd osage
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:36:30 pm »
Looks like a nice li'l project :)

I'll be watching this one with interest!!

Is it just my eyes, or does the 'boo still look a little on the green side?  Maybe it's just the rind in the light? ???

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:58:32 am »
  I got to work an hour or so after work last night and got this far. For the life of me I can't rember the length it was pulling. I know it as 55# so I have a good bit to play with to make the 45#. Is this the shape I need it to end up?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:49:30 am by hillbilly61 »

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:19:10 pm »
 I think I'm done tillering. The 1st is at 7" brace and the 2nd is 47@26"  I really need some input on this one. I think the last 4-6" is stiff

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:07:29 am »
Looks really good to me!  Can't wait to see the finished pics.
Nate Danforth

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:03:47 am »
Looking good so far. Kinda weird though- it looks like it's hinging on the right limb just off the fade, but in the full draw pic it doesn't. Although, with that black oval superimposed on the pic it's hard to get a good reading on your full draw pic.

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:34 pm »
I see what 'celt is saying about the hinge look too.  Again, at full draw in the pic, it looks ok.  I wouldn't worry too much about it being stiff towards the tips as a lot of bows are made that way.  One thing I might do would be to scrape a fraction of a hair off of mid-limb on the right of the full draw pic.  You can see more white on the inside of the elipse than the same place on the left limb.

Good job on a nice bow :)